Balancing Vinegar and Baking soda equation

• Thread starter pippo90
  • Start date
In summary, the equation for balancing vinegar and baking soda is CH<sub>3</sub>COOH + NaHCO<sub>3</sub> → CH<sub>3</sub>COONa + CO<sub>2</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O. It is necessary to balance the equation to ensure that the reaction follows the law of conservation of mass. To balance the equation, count the number of each type of atom and add coefficients. The products of the reaction are sodium acetate, carbon dioxide, and water. The reaction is an acid-base reaction where acetic acid donates a hydrogen ion to sodium bicarbonate, resulting in fizzing and bubbling.
pippo90
NaHCO3 + CH3COOH --> NaCH3COO + CO2

how would I balance this equation? it is backing soda and vinegar, and it forms sodium acetate, CO2 and a substance that turns blue cobalt paper pink? So there is a product missing on the right hand side, so what would that product me and how would i balance the final equation, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe water is also a reaction product. Actually if you add a water molecule to the right hand side, the equation should balance itself.

awsome thanks

1. What is the correct equation for balancing vinegar and baking soda?

The equation for balancing vinegar and baking soda is:

CH3COOH + NaHCO3 → CH3COONa + CO2 + H2O

2. Why is it necessary to balance the equation for vinegar and baking soda?

Balancing the equation ensures that the same number of each type of atom is present on both sides of the equation, indicating that the reaction is following the law of conservation of mass.

3. How do you balance the equation for vinegar and baking soda?

To balance the equation, start by counting the number of each type of atom on each side. Then, add coefficients in front of each molecule to ensure that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides.

4. What are the products of the reaction between vinegar and baking soda?

The products of the reaction are sodium acetate (CH3COONa), carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O).

5. How does the reaction between vinegar and baking soda work?

The reaction between vinegar (acetic acid) and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an acid-base reaction. The acetic acid donates a hydrogen ion (H+) to the bicarbonate ion, forming carbonic acid (H2CO3). This carbonic acid then decomposes into carbon dioxide and water, resulting in the fizzing and bubbling seen in the reaction.