Orthogonal unit vectors also unit vectors?

In summary, if two unit vectors v and w are added and subtracted, the resulting vectors v+w and v-w will be orthogonal. However, v+w and v-w may not necessarily be unit vectors because the inner product of the two added and subtracted vectors must also be positive for the product to be defined. This can be shown by taking ||v+w||^2 and ||v-w||^2, which must be greater than zero for the product to be defined. Additionally, if v and w are the same vector, then the inner product must be positive and therefore the resulting vectors will not be orthogonal.
Mindscrape
If two vectors v, w are both unit vectors, then v+w and v-w will be orthogonal, but are v+w and v-w also unit vectors?

I would say no because the inner product of the two added, and the two subtracted would also have to be orthogonal.

<(v+w)+(v-w),(v+w)-(v-w)>

= <2v,2w>

and <2v,2w> must be greater than zero for the product to be defined in the first place.

*EDIT:
If it helps, the way I originally showed that they were orthogonal was to take
<v+w,v-w> = ||v||^2 - ||w||^2

if they are unit vectors then ||v|| = 1 and ||w|| = 1 so

<v+w,v-w> = 1 - 1 = 0 = orthogonal

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is [itex] \left|| u-v\right|| ^2 [/itex] equal to ?

Mindscrape said:
If two vectors v, w are both unit vectors, then v+w and v-w will be orthogonal, but are v+w and v-w also unit vectors?

I would say no because the inner product of the two added, and the two subtracted would also have to be orthogonal.

<(v+w)+(v-w),(v+w)-(v-w)>

= <2v,2w>

and <2v,2w> must be greater than zero for the product to be defined in the first place.
? Are you saying that an inner product can't be negative? In any case, I see no reason for looking at <(v+w)+ (v-w),(v+w)-(v-w)> . The question was asking about v+w and v-w separately. You should be looking at
||v+w||2= <v+w,v+w> and ||v-w||2= <v-w,v-w>.

Even more simply, what if v= w?

*EDIT:
If it helps, the way I originally showed that they were orthogonal was to take
<v+w,v-w> = ||v||^2 - ||w||^2

if they are unit vectors then ||v|| = 1 and ||w|| = 1 so

<v+w,v-w> = 1 - 1 = 0 = orthogonal[/QUOTE]

HallsofIvy said:
? Are you saying that an inner product can't be negative? In any case, I see no reason for looking at <(v+w)+ (v-w),(v+w)-(v-w)> . The question was asking about v+w and v-w separately. You should be looking at
||v+w||2= <v+w,v+w> and ||v-w||2= <v-w,v-w>.

Even more simply, what if v= w?

Yes because if v = w, then <2v,2v> must be positive because 4<v,v> must obey positivity.

edit: whoops, I forgot the change the w at the end of my first post to v. This will work now, correct?

Last edited:
I suppose that in the end dex's way would be the easiest and most straightforward (since it shows the norm is zero).

Mindscrape said:
I suppose that in the end dex's way would be the easiest and most straightforward (since it shows the norm is zero).

ZERO!? What is zero?

1. What are orthogonal unit vectors?

Orthogonal unit vectors are vectors that are perpendicular to each other and have a magnitude of 1. This means that they form a right angle with each other and have a length of 1 unit.

2. Why are orthogonal unit vectors important?

Orthogonal unit vectors are important because they provide a basis for vector spaces and can be used to represent any vector in that space. They also simplify vector calculations and make it easier to understand geometric concepts.

3. How do you find orthogonal unit vectors?

To find orthogonal unit vectors, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves taking a set of linearly independent vectors and finding a perpendicular set of vectors by subtracting the projection of each vector onto the previous ones. Then, you can normalize the resulting vectors to have a magnitude of 1.

4. Can orthogonal unit vectors be in any dimension?

Yes, orthogonal unit vectors can exist in any dimension. In 2-dimensional space, they would be perpendicular lines, in 3-dimensional space, they would be perpendicular planes, and so on.

5. How are orthogonal unit vectors used in real life?

Orthogonal unit vectors have many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent 3D objects, calculate forces and motion, and create 3D animations. They are also used in linear algebra and machine learning algorithms.