How to dial telephone with internet

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, the conversation was about the importance of setting and achieving goals in life. The participants discussed the benefits of having clear goals, such as motivation, direction, and a sense of fulfillment. They also talked about the challenges of staying focused and overcoming obstacles while pursuing goals. The overall message was that setting and achieving goals is crucial for personal growth and success.
Saint
If I'm online, how to dial a telephone number?
My PC has microphone. :confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you on dailup, dsl or cable? If your on dialup I'm pretty sure netmeeting allows you to make calls with your modem, but you can't be on the internet at the same time. If your on dsl or cable then you want to look into Voice over IP (VoIP). You'll have to pay a fee to get switched into the regular phone line, but I think it is nominal. If your doing computer to computer conversation you can just use netmeeting to direct connect.

There are several ways to dial a telephone number using the internet and a microphone-equipped computer. One option is to use a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service, such as Skype or Google Voice, which allows you to make calls over the internet to traditional telephone numbers. To do this, you would need to sign up for the service, download the necessary software, and then use your computer's microphone to make the call.

Another option is to use a web-based calling service, such as Google Hangouts or WhatsApp, which also allow you to make calls over the internet. These services typically require you to have an account and the person you are calling to also have the same service or app installed on their device.

If you are using a website or app that requires you to dial a telephone number, you can use your computer's microphone to input the numbers. Most modern web browsers have the ability to access your computer's microphone for this purpose.

In summary, to dial a telephone number using the internet and your computer's microphone, you can use a VoIP service, a web-based calling service, or input the number directly on a website or app. It's important to note that these methods may require an internet connection and may also incur charges depending on the service you are using.

1. How does dialing a telephone with internet work?

The process of dialing a telephone with internet, also known as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), involves converting analog voice signals into digital data that can be transmitted over the internet. This data is then converted back into analog signals at the receiving end, allowing for a phone call to take place.

2. What equipment do I need to dial a telephone with internet?

To dial a telephone with internet, you will need a computer or mobile device with an internet connection, a microphone, and speakers or headphones. Some VoIP services also require a special adapter or VoIP phone to be used.

3. Is it free to dial a telephone with internet?

While some VoIP services offer free calling within their network, most providers charge a fee for making calls to traditional landline or mobile phones. However, these fees are generally lower than traditional phone service charges, and some providers offer international calling at a lower cost.

4. Can I dial emergency services with internet?

In most cases, emergency services can be dialed with internet using VoIP services. However, it is important to check with your specific provider to ensure they offer this feature and to familiarize yourself with any potential limitations or requirements.

5. Are there any disadvantages to dialing a telephone with internet?

One potential disadvantage of using VoIP to dial a telephone with internet is that the call quality may be affected by the strength and stability of your internet connection. Additionally, power outages or internet service disruptions can prevent you from making or receiving calls. It is important to have a backup plan in place for emergency situations.