How Does Temperature Affect the Intensity Spectrum in Planck's Radiation Law?

It's a rather complicated procedure, I'll explain it later if you really want to know.is d\lambda and \pi. How do you transform one into the other? What does it mean to write it like the question did with d\lambda either side or more specifically what does the d\lambda mean in that context?If you integrated both sides to get rid of the d\lambda s would the \pi dissapear? I really should try and integrate it myself rather than just asking but it looks complicated :S i'll give it a shot though.The d\lambda is a differential and it usually represents a very small change in the variable \lambda . In this context, it is used to represent the interval of wavelength
sanitykey

Homework Statement

The dependence on wavelength [tex] \lambda [/tex] of the intensity [tex]I(\lambda)d\lambda[/tex] of the radiation emitted by a body which is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings at temerature T is given by:

[tex]I(\lambda)d\lambda = \frac{2 \pi h c^{2}/\lambda^5}{e^{hc/kT\lambda}-1}d\lambda[/tex]

in the interval of wavelength between [tex] \lambda [/tex] and [tex] \lambda+d\lambda [/tex]. In this expression, h is Planck's constant, k is Boltzmann's constant, and c is the velocity of light.

Sketch and clearly label on one figure the dependences of [tex]I(\lambda)d\lambda[/tex] on [tex] \lambda [/tex] for three different temperatures [tex] T_{1} < T_{2} < T_{3} [/tex].

Simplify the above expression in the limit of (i) short wavelength ([tex]\lambda\rightarrow0[/tex]) and (ii) long wavelength ([tex]\lambda\rightarrow\infty[/tex]).

(The binomial expansion [tex]e^{x} = 1+x+x^{2}/2+...[/tex] may be useful.)

Homework Equations

All given in the problem i think.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Planck's Radiation Law was almost exactly the same as this i searched for it on wikipedia for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law

On that page is a graph which i thought was showing what the first part of the question is asking but i don't understand what the question means when it says "clearly label on one figure the dependences of [tex]I(\lambda)d\lambda[/tex] on [tex] \lambda [/tex]"?

For the second part i tried to make the formula look simpler first:

[tex]\frac{A}{\lambda^{5}(e^{B/\lambda} - 1)}[/tex]

I think as [tex]\lambda\rightarrow0[/tex], [tex]e^{B/\lambda} - 1[/tex] can be simplified to [tex]e^{B/\lambda}[/tex] because the latter expression will be very large giving:

[tex]\frac{A}{\lambda^{5}e^{B/\lambda}}[/tex]

I'm having some trouble posting the rest of my thread but i thought for the last part as lambda goes to infinity the expression would simplify to A/lambda^5 but I'm not sure how to work these out for definite i think this is probably wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For large [itex]\lambda[/itex], you can expand [itex]e^{B/ \lambda } [/itex] to first order, using the Taylor series provided to you. You will get a different answer than [itex]A/ \lambda ^5 [/itex]. Your answer for the short wavelength limit is correct.

As for "labeling", I believe that is asking you to make it clear which curve represents which temperature (T1,T2,T3).

Thanks for the help this is what I've got so far:

[tex]\lambda^{5}(e^{B/\lambda} - 1) = \lambda^{5}(1 + \frac{B}{\lambda} + \frac{B^2}{2 \lambda^2} + \frac{B^3}{6 \lambda^3}... -1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{A}{\lambda^{5}(\frac{B}{\lambda} + \frac{B^2}{2 \lambda^2} + \frac{B^3}{6 \lambda^3}... )}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{A}{B \lambda^4 + 1/2 B^2 \lambda^3 + 1/6 B^3 \lambda^2 + 1/24 B^4 \lambda + 1/120 B^5}[/tex]

I think all the other terms in the expansion would tend to 0 so they can be ignored, if this is right it's as far as i can get though i can't see how to simplify any further although this makes it look longer and maybe even more complicated?

Actually, it's better than that!

[itex]B/ \lambda <<1 \implies B^2 \lambda^3 << B \lambda ^4 [/itex], etc. So feel free to throw away all terms after the first one.

Thanks for the help again :)

I was wondering i can see the difference between this:

[tex]I(\lambda)d\lambda = \frac{2 \pi h c^{2}/\lambda^5}{e^{hc/kT\lambda}-1}d\lambda[/tex]

and Planck's radiation formula:

[tex]I(\lambda)= \frac{2 h c^{2}/\lambda^5}{e^{hc/kT\lambda}-1}[/tex]

is [tex]d\lambda[/tex] and [tex]\pi[/tex]. How do you transform one into the other? What does it mean to write it like the question did with [tex]d\lambda[/tex] either side or more specifically what does the [tex]d\lambda[/tex] mean in that context?

If you integrated both sides to get rid of the [tex]d\lambda[/tex] s would the [tex]\pi[/tex] dissapear? I really should try and integrate it myself rather than just asking but it looks complicated :S i'll give it a shot though.

sanitykey said:
Thanks for the help again :)

I was wondering i can see the difference between this:

and Planck's radiation formula:

[tex]I(\lambda)= \frac{2 h c^{2}/\lambda^5}{e^{hc/kT\lambda}-1}[/tex]

There' a [itex] \pi [/itex] difference. But only because you forgot to put it in the second formula. The difference between the 2 formulas is important only when you try to change the variable from wavelength to frequency [itex] \nu [/itex] or angular frequency [itex] \omega [/itex]. In that case, the formula involving differentials should be used.

1. What is Planck's Radiation Law?

Planck's Radiation Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the distribution of energy emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It was first proposed by German physicist Max Planck in 1900 and is considered one of the cornerstones of quantum mechanics.

2. How does Planck's Radiation Law relate to black bodies?

Planck's Radiation Law is specifically applicable to black bodies, which are hypothetical objects that absorb and emit all radiation incident on them. It explains the relationship between the temperature of a black body and the intensity and wavelength of the radiation it emits.

3. What is the formula for Planck's Radiation Law?

The formula for Planck's Radiation Law is given by E = hc/λ, where E is the energy of a photon, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the emitted radiation. This formula is used to calculate the energy distribution of black body radiation.

4. How does Planck's Radiation Law support the concept of quantization?

Planck's Radiation Law is significant because it provides evidence for the concept of quantization, which is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. The law states that energy is emitted and absorbed in discrete packets, or quanta, rather than continuously. This supports the idea that energy is not continuous, but rather exists in finite, discrete units.

5. What are some practical applications of Planck's Radiation Law?

Planck's Radiation Law has a wide range of practical applications, including in the fields of astronomy, cosmology, and engineering. It is used to understand the radiation emitted by stars and other celestial bodies, as well as to design and optimize the efficiency of light sources such as incandescent bulbs and lasers.