Help finding internships/planning for grad school

In summary: Internships during college is primary determined by recommendations and GPA. And the interview. Since most students don't have experience, the GPA is taken into account as the "experience" for college students. Assuming you know your stuff in school, you should know the stuff in work. That type of deal.
tall_paul
I am a sophmore at the ohio state university majoring in physics. my gpa is something like 2.6 and i don't have any good professors references yet. I want to eventually go to grad school but i know i will probably need experience for this. Most of the internships i come across seem to be really selective.

Is there a way to find anything without a 3.0 or references or is this a pipe dream?

Also, if i can't get a good internship before graduating what kind of job would help me get into grad school for physics.

Also, if i complete my physics major but really want to study biophysics i assume i will need a background in biology as well. Is this going to be extremely difficult?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about trying to get some research experience under a professor while you work on raising your GPA? Once you've done the research for a good amount of time, and your GPA is higher, you can go for an internship. Say, the beginning of the summer between your Junior and Senior years?

Maxwell said:
How about trying to get some research experience under a professor while you work on raising your GPA? Once you've done the research for a good amount of time, and your GPA is higher, you can go for an internship. Say, the beginning of the summer between your Junior and Senior years?

I've always saw research positions under a professor as the "physics major's internship". Just find a professor you would like to work under. You'll get some research experience and it'll probably safeguard one recommendation. Research experience is a huge plus on a grad school app. Especially in physics. I'll say more so than a non-research internship at a company.

Getting a research position under a professor at school is much much easier than getting an internship with your current GPA and postion. I was like you with a 2.X GPA. A professor took me into his lab, so I can gain some type of experience since no company wanted a retarded GPA like mines. A professor is there to mentor and help you, nonetheless of your GPA.

Internships during college is primary determined by recommendations and GPA. And the interview. Since most students don't have experience, the GPA is taken into account as the "experience" for college students. Assuming you know your stuff in school, you should know the stuff in work. That type of deal.

1. How do I find internships in my field?

There are a few ways to find internships in your field. You can start by searching online job boards or company websites for open internship positions. You can also attend career fairs and networking events to connect with potential employers. Additionally, your university's career center may have resources and connections to help you find internships.

2. When should I start looking for internships?

It is recommended to start looking for internships at least 6-9 months before you plan to start your internship. This will give you enough time to research and apply to different opportunities, and also allow for any necessary preparation such as updating your resume and practicing for interviews.

3. What should I include in my application for internships?

Your internship application should include a well-written resume, cover letter, and any relevant portfolio or work samples. Your resume should highlight your relevant skills, experiences, and education. Your cover letter should emphasize your interest in the specific internship and how your skills and experiences make you a good fit for the position.

4. How do I prepare for grad school?

Preparing for grad school involves researching and choosing the right program, studying for entrance exams such as the GRE, and gathering letters of recommendation. It is also important to think about your career goals and how grad school will help you achieve them. You can also reach out to current grad students or professors in your field for advice and guidance.

5. What is the importance of internships and grad school for my career?

Internships provide hands-on experience in your field and allow you to apply the knowledge and skills you have learned in the classroom. They also provide opportunities to network and make connections that can lead to future job opportunities. Grad school can help you gain advanced knowledge and skills in your field, and also make you a more competitive candidate for higher level positions. It can also open up opportunities for research and teaching positions in academia.