Passenger on a ferry (vectors)

• Thread starter Linas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the passenger on the ferry has a velocity of 1.45 m/s due north relative to the ferry, while the ferry itself has a velocity of 4.50 m/s at an angle of 30.0º west of north relative to the water. To find the ferry's velocity relative to the water, you would need to add the x and y components of the passenger's velocity and the ferry's velocity, as well as the y component of the passenger's velocity and the ferry's velocity.
Linas
A passenger walks from one side of a ferry to the other as it approaches a dock.Passenger's velocity is 1.45 m/s due north relative to the ferry, and 4.50 m/s at an angle of 30.0º west of north relative to the water.

What is the magnitude and direction of the ferry's velocity relative to the water?

I tried to set the guy walking north (90º) and the other vector at 120º because that is 30º west of north. Now I try to find the magnitude of that and I keep getting 5.8 and I get a direction of 22.8º West of north.

I have plugged these values into my "mastering physics" homework deal and they come up wrong. I have tried my equations looking at the exact problem with different numbers but it had a solution and I still could not come up with the solution they got so obviously my methodology is off somewhere.

please help. thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Linas said:
A passenger walks from one side of a ferry to the other as it approaches a dock.Passenger's velocity is 1.45 m/s due north relative to the ferry, and 4.50 m/s at an angle of 30.0º west of north relative to the water.

Be careful, the first velocity is the man's relative to the Ferry and the second it his relative to the Water, so how do you find the Ferry's velocity relative to the water?

wouldn't you add the x and y values of the magnitude of the man and the water with the y value of the man and the boat?

1. What are vectors and how are they relevant in the context of a passenger on a ferry?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In the context of a passenger on a ferry, vectors are used to represent the movement of the ferry in terms of its speed and direction. This is important for predicting the trajectory and final destination of the ferry.

2. How does the wind affect the movement of a ferry and how is this represented by vectors?

The wind can significantly impact the movement of a ferry as it creates a force that can either push or pull the ferry in a certain direction. This force is represented by a vector, with the magnitude and direction determined by the strength and direction of the wind.

3. Can you explain the concept of relative velocity and how it relates to a passenger on a ferry?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. In the context of a passenger on a ferry, their relative velocity would be the velocity of the ferry in relation to their own velocity. This is important for determining the speed and direction of the ferry from the passenger's perspective.

4. How do vectors help determine the position of a passenger on a ferry at a specific time?

Vectors can be used to calculate the position of a passenger on a ferry at a specific time by taking into account their initial position, the velocity and direction of the ferry, and the amount of time that has passed. This allows for the prediction of the passenger's final position on the ferry.

5. What other factors, besides wind, can affect the movement of a ferry and how are they represented by vectors?

Other factors that can affect the movement of a ferry include the current of the water, the weight and distribution of cargo on the ferry, and the angle of the ferry's sail (if applicable). These factors can also be represented by vectors, with their magnitude and direction determined by their impact on the ferry's movement.