Solving a Momentum Problem: Calculating Force and Barrel Length

• Thread starter roughneck84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, A human cannonball with a mass of 70 kg experiences an impulse of 4000 N/s for 0.35 s. To calculate the force acting on the human cannonball, divide the impulse by the time, giving a force of 11429 N. For part B, you need to find the distance the cannonball traveled while in the barrel of the cannon. You can use kinematics equations to find this distance by first calculating the acceleration from the net force, and then using that acceleration in a kinematics equation with the initial velocity of 0.
roughneck84
I am having problems with part B of the following question.

A human cannonball with a mass of 70 kg experiences an impulse of 4000 N/s for 0.35 s
a) Calculate the force acting on the human cannonball.

This is my sol'n:

J = 4000 N/s
(delta)t = 0.35 s

J = F(delta)t
4000 N/s = F(0.35 s)
F = (4000 N/s) / (0.35 s)
F = 11429 N

b) How long was the barrel of the cannon? (Assume the force is applied only for a period of time that the cannonball is in the cannon.)

For part B I think I just need clarification on what the question is saying. Is it saying to change the time or the force ?

Physics news on Phys.org
From my understanding, you have to find the distance the object traveled while it was in the cannon.

the time given was 0.35 s. Do i just pick a anumber like 0.1 for the time it was in the cannon ??

Ummm...no. I think you'd stick with 0.35 s, seeing how that's what's given to you.

btw, I think the units of impulse should be N*s, not N/s

I think you need to use kinematics + Force. d = v_1*t +.5at^2. You can find out the acceleration from Fnet = ma and the initial velocity would be 0 since cannon balls usually start from rest before shot out of a cannon.

I don't think kinematics are necessary. From the impulse, you know the change in momentum. That gives you the final velocity. As cse63146 said, the initial velocity is zero. From that, you know the change in kinetic energy, which gives you the work done. If you know the work done, and you have calculated the magnitude of the force that did it, then you know over what distance that force must have acted.

Last edited:
cepheid said:
I don't think kinematics are necessary. From the impulse, you know the change in momentum. That gives you the final velocity. As cse63146 said, the initial velocity is zero. From that, you know the change in kinetic energy, which gives you the work done. If you know the work done, and you have calculated the magnitude of the force that did it, then you know over what distance that force must have acted.

Yeah, that sounds more reasonable.

Kinematics does work because you can find the accelatration due to Newtons law and plug that into a kinematics equation

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes an object's motion. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v): p = m * v. The unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a collision or interaction between two objects, the total momentum before the interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction.

4. How does momentum affect an object's motion?

Momentum affects an object's motion by determining how difficult it is to stop or change the object's motion. An object with a larger momentum will be more difficult to stop or change its direction compared to an object with a smaller momentum.

5. How is momentum related to force?

According to Newton's Second Law, force (F) is equal to the rate of change of momentum (dP/dt). This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be. Similarly, a smaller force will result in a smaller change in momentum.