Power of a Pump draining a flooded basement

• Thread starter physicsfan01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Pump
In summary, the question asks for the power delivered by a pump that is pumping water out of a flooded basement at a speed of 5.7m/s through a hose with a radius of 1.01cm. Using the continuity and Bernoulli principles, the flow rate is calculated to be 1.827 kg/s. Multiplying this by gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height (2.96m), the power is found to be 54.07 W, however, further calculations are needed to determine the exact answer.
physicsfan01

Homework Statement

Water is pumped steadily out of a flooded basement at a speed of 5.7m/s, through a uniform hose of radius 1.01cm. The hose passes through a window 2.96m above the waterline. What is the power (in W) delivered by the pump?

Homework Equations

Continuity and Bernoulli principles

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the radius, the cross sectional area is found to be 3.2047 * 10^-4 m^2.
Multiply this by the velocity to find the flow rate I got: .001827 m^3/s or 1.827 kg/s.
Multiply this by gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height (2.96m), I got 52.99 Watts.

I don't know where I made a mistake, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is right but I get 54.07 ( how many figures did you carry through the calcs?)

I tried 54.07 W but it's not correct either.

1. How does a pump drain a flooded basement?

A pump works by creating suction to remove water from a flooded area. It pulls the water into a chamber, then pushes it out through a discharge pipe or hose to a designated drainage area.

2. What type of pump is best for draining a flooded basement?

The best type of pump for draining a flooded basement is a submersible pump. This type of pump is designed to be placed directly into the water and can handle large volumes of water quickly and efficiently.

3. How long does it take for a pump to drain a flooded basement?

The time it takes for a pump to drain a flooded basement depends on several factors, such as the size of the basement, the amount of water, and the power of the pump. On average, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day to completely drain a flooded basement.

4. Can a pump remove all the water from a flooded basement?

In most cases, a pump can remove the majority of water from a flooded basement. However, it may not be able to remove all the water, especially if there is standing water in hard-to-reach areas. It is important to also use other methods, such as mopping or using a wet/dry vacuum, to ensure all water is removed.

5. Is it safe to use a pump to drain a flooded basement?

Yes, it is generally safe to use a pump to drain a flooded basement. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and making sure the electricity is turned off before starting the pump. If you are unsure about using a pump, it is best to consult a professional.