Rotational and translational kinetic energy

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder of mass m2 and radius r rolling without slipping over a cylindrical surface, driven by a uniform rod of mass m1 and length L. The instantaneous position of the cylinder is determined by the angular displacement alpha(t)=A*sin(omega*t). The kinetic energy of the system can be expressed as K.E(tot) = 1/2 m*v^2 + 1/2 I*omega^2, where I(cylinder 2D) = (m*r^2)/2 and I(rod about fixed end)=(1/2)*m*L^2. In order to find omega, one can use the fact that the point of contact is (instantaneously) stationary, leading
maffra

Homework Statement

A cylinder of mass m2 and radius r rolls without slipping over a cylindrical surface. It is driven (like an inverted pendulum) by a uniform rod of mass m1 and length L. Its instantaneous position as a function of time is determined by the angular displacement
alpha(t)=A*sin(omega*t)
Produce the expression for the kinetic energy of the system as a function of time.[/B]

Homework Equations

K.E(tot) = 1/2 m*v^2 + 1/2 I*omega^2
where I(cylinder 2D) = (m*r^2)/2
I(rod about fixed end)=(1/2)*m*L^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the velocity using the derivative of the position vector of the end of the rod which is attached to the centre of the cylinder. Now what...is this velocity considered the translational velocity of the cylinder. how do i find omega? I don't know what to do next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

maffra said:
A cylinder of mass m2 and radius r rolls without slipping …

… how do i find omega?

Hi maffra! Welcome to PF! :smile:

"without slipping" means that the point of contact is (instantaneously) stationary.

So the velocity of the centre of the cylinder is canceled by the rotational velocity of the point of contact (relative to the centre).

That gives you an equation between v and ω. :smile:

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy possessed by a rotating object due to its motion. It is dependent on the object's moment of inertia, angular velocity, and rotational axis.

2. What is translational kinetic energy?

Translational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion in a straight line. It is dependent on the object's mass and linear velocity.

3. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How is translational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating translational kinetic energy is 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the linear velocity.

5. How are rotational and translational kinetic energy related?

Rotational and translational kinetic energy are related because they both represent the energy of an object in motion. In some cases, an object may possess both rotational and translational kinetic energy at the same time.