AC circuit, mystery impedance

In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit problem involving calculating the values of voltage and current in both time and phasor domains, determining the power factor, reactance, and type of reactance, and calculating the average, reactive, and apparent power. The solution involves using equations and making calculations, and there is a discussion about the chosen values for V1 and V2 and their impact on the calculations. The final results are inconsistent and the possibility of an additional resistance component in the inductor is discussed.
Enzo

Homework Statement

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1867/es100wi8.th.png http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

a) Write an expression for V1 and V2 both in time domain and phasor domain (Solved)

b) Write an expression for the current I both in time domain and phasor domain (Solved)
c) Calculate the Power factor of the supply and specify whether it is lagging or
leading (Solved)
d) Specify the type of the reactance (XC or XL)
e) Determine the value of X and hence the corresponding value of L or C
f) Calculate the supply average, reactive and apparent power
g) Draw the phasor diagram of the circuit

Homework Equations

f= 250/3

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
V1 = 10sqrt(2)<48 = 9.46+10.51
V2 = 5/sqrt(2)<0 = 3.54
b)
I = v2/r2 = 0.354<0
c)
PF = 0.669, lagging
d)

X is an inductor

e)
VCh2 + Vxl = Vsource
Vxl = 9.46+10.51j - 5/sqrt(2) = 5.93 +10.51j = 12.1<60.6

Zx = Vxl/Is = 12.1<60.6 / 0.354<0 = 16.77+ 29.73j

This tells me that there's a physical impedance associated with the coil, equal in value to 16.77ohms...Meaning that it's not a pure inductor?

To find L:

29.73 = 2*pi*f*L ... 29.73/ (2*pi*250/3) = L = 0.057H

But these results don't add up to the next few parts:

-Active Power-
P(10ohm)=I^2*R=(0.354)^2*10 = 1.25W
P(16.77ohm)=I^2*R=(0.354)^2*16.77 = 2.10W
Total:3.35W

-Reactive Power-
P(XL)=I^2*R=(0.354)^2*29.73 = 3.72VAR

-Apparent Power-
Active+Reactive*j = 3.35+3.72j

which matches:

S=EI=10sqrt(2)<48 * 0.354<0 = 3.35 + 3.72j

Have I done this question correctly? Is it possible that the inductor has a simple resistance component to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have apparently chosen the first positive peak of V1 for its phase, but for the phase of V2 you have chosen the first positive going zero crossing. You have to be consistent in these choices.

Looking at the zero crossings of V1, the angle appears to be closer to 45 degrees than 48 degrees.

Since the positive going zero crossing of V1 nearest to the zero time of the graph is at -45 degrees, I would say that V1 = 10sqrt(2)<-45, and then it would be consistent to say that V2 = 5/sqrt(2)<0.

Redo your calculations with this number for V1 and see if you get better results.

Your calculations seem correct, but your interpretation of the results may be causing some confusion. Let's break down each part:

d) The type of reactance is in fact an inductor (XL), as you correctly stated. However, this does not mean that there is no resistance associated with the inductor. In fact, all real inductors have some amount of resistance, which is known as the winding resistance. This resistance is usually small compared to the reactance, but it is still present.

e) You correctly calculated the value of X, which represents the reactance of the inductor. This value includes both the inductive reactance and the winding resistance (X = XL + R). From this, you can calculate the inductance by using the formula you provided (L = X / (2*pi*f)). This will give you the total inductance, which includes the inductance of the coil as well as any parasitic inductances.

f) Your calculations for the active, reactive, and apparent power seem correct. The apparent power (S) is the vector sum of the active and reactive power, so it makes sense that it matches the total power calculation (P = S * cos(phi)). Keep in mind that the reactive power is not consumed by the circuit, but it is necessary for the operation of the inductor.

g) The phasor diagram for this circuit will have a voltage phasor V1 at an angle of 48 degrees (since V1 is 10sqrt(2) < 48), a current phasor I at an angle of 0 degrees (since I is 0.354 < 0), and a voltage phasor V2 at an angle of 0 degrees (since V2 is 5/sqrt(2) < 0). The phasor diagram will also show the inductive reactance (X) at an angle of 60.6 degrees (since X is 16.77 + 29.73j). This should give you a visual representation of the circuit and how the different components are related to each other.

Overall, it seems like you have done the calculations correctly. The discrepancy between the active power calculation and the total power calculation is most likely due to the winding resistance of the inductor, which is present in all real inductors. Keep in mind that even though the winding resistance may seem small, it can still have an impact on

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current (AC) as its power source. This means that the flow of electricity constantly changes direction, typically at a frequency of 50 or 60 cycles per second. AC circuits are commonly used in homes, businesses, and other electrical systems.

2. How does an AC circuit work?

An AC circuit works by using a power source, such as a generator or power plant, to produce an alternating current. The current then flows through the circuit, which consists of wires, resistors, capacitors, and other components, before returning to the power source. The components in the circuit control and manipulate the flow of electricity to perform specific functions.

3. What is impedance in an AC circuit?

Impedance is the measure of opposition to the flow of alternating current in a circuit. It is similar to resistance, which measures opposition to direct current, but takes into account the effects of capacitance and inductance in an AC circuit. Impedance is typically measured in ohms (Ω) and can affect the voltage and current in a circuit.

4. What is a mystery impedance in an AC circuit?

A mystery impedance in an AC circuit is an unknown or unidentified impedance that is affecting the flow of electricity in the circuit. This could be due to a faulty component, incorrect wiring, or other issues. It is important to identify and address mystery impedances to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

5. How can you determine the value of a mystery impedance in an AC circuit?

The value of a mystery impedance in an AC circuit can be determined by using an impedance meter or by performing calculations based on the known values of other components in the circuit. It may also require troubleshooting and testing to identify the source of the mystery impedance. Consulting a professional electrician or using circuit analysis tools can also help in determining the value of a mystery impedance.