Back Online - All Mission Critical Components Working

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
Evo said:
It's still down for me. Hey, why did you get fixed first?
Yeah, what's the big idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
www is still down for me too.

Doc Al said:
Yeah, what's the big idea?

Europe's taking over PF :approve: Take a look at the dates in the library, for example: they look remarkably European to me :biggrin:

Odd that the www page gives a PF database error page not a 404

The www page works fine for me. Your cookies might have cooties. Try zapping them.

The www address is working for me now, but it wasn't responding earlier this afternoon.

Everything looks normal.

It isn't working for me either. I just used the link from the email that Evo sent me.

~christina~ said:
It isn't working for me either. I just used the link from the email that Evo sent me.
I'm glad that someone got one of my e-mails!

Yay! Been going through withdrawal!

Weird, now I can get to PF with the www version but not without! I get a page load error.

Yay, the DNS change finally kicked in here! All day today I was getting a message that went something like "this page is compressed in an unrecognized format," using both Firefox and Safari.

Still not able to use www from here. So, linking from google doesn't work either.

Right now, I'm having a successful www login for the first time.

www.physicsforums.com is now working fine from here and resolving to the same IP address as physicsforums.com.

I've been on the www all day.

When I switched back from physicsforums.com to www.physicsforums.com, it seemed to forget what I'd recently read; something similar seemed to happen when I first switched the other way. I can't be certain that the switch is what caused it, but if anyone else experiences the same effect, that might be the cause.

I hope the Latexlessness is easily fixable. Some of the more technical threads are a bit cryptic at the moment!

www still not working from here.

I changed my DNS to a public server. It must have been updated quicker than my ISPs server.

So Latex will be not working for a couple days?

Thanks for the new digs, Greg! Pages load with no errors, and refreshes are fast. If I can go back to using Firefox (instead of Chrome) and not get booted from chat every few minutes, that will be icing on the cake.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've talked to chroot and he said he'll look at fixing LaTeX later today.

Will the equations in todays posts reappear after fixing the LaTex problem?

samalkhaiat said:
Will the equations in todays posts reappear after fixing the LaTex problem?
It's very likely that the answer is yes, since everything looks fine when you click the "quote" button. (If you click the failed latex image instead, there's a "/" missing at the end).

Example: [itex]x[/itex]

This is really weird. When I previewed, the x appeared as it should, and half a second later it was replaced by a LaTeX image from the thread about Noether's theorem. When I posted, the x appeared as it should, and half a second later it was replaced by the error message.

Fredrik said:
It's very likely that the answer is yes, since everything looks fine when you click the "quote" button. (If you click the failed latex image instead, there's a "/" missing at the end).

I thought the equation images were created once, at posting-time
(as opposed to on-the-fly creation at viewing).

If so, my guess is that
if there was an error that is left uncorrected in the time-frame for edits,
the error-message-image remains when the LaTeX rendering is restored...
unless someone [admin-like] re-renders the affected posts.

Fredrik said:
(If you click the failed latex image instead, there's a "/" missing at the end).

That was happening before the server move, so most likely isn't the problem.

The funny thing about the LaTeX is that if I preview a sample it displays a formula I previewed but never actually posted onto any forum the day before the move regardless of what actual formula I preview.

That sounds like a cache issue. Everything should return to normal once the admins figure it out.

my_wan said:
The funny thing about the LaTeX is that if I preview a sample it displays a formula I previewed but never actually posted onto any forum the day before the move regardless of what actual formula I preview.

Hi my_wan! :smile:

I think that's because your computer doesn't know what to do with the LaTeX …

first, it asks the website …

if it can't find the website, or if the website has deleted, or never stored, the original formula, then it prints "the last thing it thought of! :biggrin:" … probably whatever's on your clipboard.

For example, if you save a PF page to disk, and then look at it while you're not connected to PF, again you see a formula from your own computer. :smile:

For that reason, I don't think any of the existing non-working LaTeX will appear once the forum is back to normal. :redface:

tiny-tim said:
whatever's on your clipboard.

Cache?

Borek said:
Cache?

Yes! :smile: I'll accept cache! :biggrin:

Thank you Techies! Everything is AOK in Canada. Usual access by history or PF notice works fine. The screen froze up for a while but you just have to upload a nice warm fireplace screen saver. Hey, its Canada!