Is it possible to break a circuit electronically?

In summary, there are multiple ways to use a logic circuit to break a circuit path, such as using multiplexers to select which signal is routed, logic gates to enable or disable a signal, and Tri-State output gates. Additionally, there are triacs and optocouplers that can handle AC currents for this purpose. Further research can be done using Wikipedia or other sources.
U4edot
I know you can use fueses, switches, and circuit breakers.
But is it possible to use a logic circuit to break a circuit path?

Physics news on Phys.org
U4edot said:
I know you can use fueses, switches, and circuit breakers.
But is it possible to use a logic circuit to break a circuit path?

Sure. Depends on what you mean by "break", though. You can use multiplexers (MUXes) to select which logic signal you want to route into another circuit, for example. You can use logic gates to enable or disable a signal continuing on. You can use a Tri-State output gate to enable or disable a signal from continuing on...

Say I want to use a logic circuit to break the power supply of another electrical component.

OK, I read a bit on Wikipedia
Does anyone know if a demultiplexer can handle AC current?

There are triacs specifically designed to handle AC voltages and currents. There are optocouplers that permit using floating (electrically isolated) logic signals to trigger the triacs.

Thanks for the input I'll look at this when I get off work

1. Can a circuit be broken electronically?

Yes, it is possible to break a circuit electronically. This can be done by using various electronic components such as switches, relays, or transistors to interrupt the flow of current in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of breaking a circuit electronically?

Breaking a circuit electronically can serve several purposes. It can be used as a safety measure to prevent overload or short circuits, as a means of controlling the flow of current, or to turn off a circuit when it is not in use.

3. How does a switch break a circuit electronically?

A switch works by physically opening or closing a gap in the circuit, which interrupts the flow of current. This can be done manually or electronically, depending on the type of switch used.

4. Are there any risks associated with breaking a circuit electronically?

As with any electronic component, there are potential risks associated with breaking a circuit electronically. These can include short circuits, overheating, or damage to the circuit if not done properly.

5. Can a circuit be broken electronically without damaging it?

Yes, it is possible to break a circuit electronically without causing any damage. This requires proper knowledge and use of the electronic components involved, as well as careful planning and execution of the circuit design.