Learning Fluid Power Systems for University Final Year Project

In summary, the individual is seeking a textbook recommendation for their university project on a new type of hydraulic pump. They mention having minimal knowledge of fluid power systems and request a recommendation to avoid appearing inexperienced. A suggested textbook is "Introduction to Fluid Power" by James L.Johnson from DELMER - a division of Thompson Learning, Inc. Another individual recommends an older version of the Eaton/Vickers text, praising its clear explanation of various components and use of color-coded diagrams. The individual expresses gratitude and plans to check out both recommendations.
bill nye scienceguy!
For my university final year project I'm going to be working with a spin out company who are developing a new type of hyrdualic pump. However, my knowledge of fluid power systems is minimal at best, so can someone recommend me a good textbook so i don't look like a total numpty when I start?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Introduction to fluid power by James L.Johnson ( DELMER -a division of thompson learning.inc)

I have an older copy of this Eaton/Vickers text and it is really good at explaining all of the various types of components you would ever see. I like the diagrams because they color the various flows with different colors so it is easy to pick out areas like the pressure and return sides.

51RYJAYWR1L._SS500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0963416200/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys, i'll check them both out

1. What is a fluid power system?

A fluid power system is a type of mechanical system that uses fluids, such as liquids or gases, to transmit power. It typically consists of a pump, reservoir, valves, actuators, and fluid lines. These systems are commonly used in industrial and mobile equipment to control and move heavy loads.

2. Why is it important to learn about fluid power systems for a university final year project?

Fluid power systems are widely used in various industries, making it a valuable skill for engineering students to learn. Additionally, understanding fluid power systems can open up career opportunities in fields such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. A university final year project is a great opportunity to apply and showcase this knowledge.

3. What are some common applications of fluid power systems?

Fluid power systems are used in a wide range of applications, including construction equipment, agricultural machinery, aircraft control systems, and more. They are also commonly found in everyday appliances, such as car brakes and hydraulic elevators.

4. What are the advantages of using fluid power systems over other types of power transmission?

One major advantage of fluid power systems is their high power density, meaning they can generate a lot of force in a small space. They are also highly reliable, have a long lifespan, and can operate in extreme temperatures and environments. Additionally, fluid power systems can be easily controlled and can provide precise and smooth movements.

5. Are there any resources available to help with learning fluid power systems for a university final year project?

Yes, there are many resources available, including textbooks, online courses, and hands-on workshops. Your university may also have labs or research facilities dedicated to fluid power systems. Additionally, reaching out to professors, industry professionals, and networking with peers can provide valuable insights and support for your project.