What exactly is meant when people say that a Light Cone is tilting ?

In summary: I know what it is.In summary, the term "tilting" is used in relativity to refer to the fact that light cones cannot be tilted so that they are parallel.
Benjamin113
What exactly is meant when people say that a Light Cone is "tilting"?

I understand the general idea of a light cone when it comes to how it's used to represent light particles. However, I do not understand what is meant when one states that in Relativity, "Light cones cannot be tilted so that they are parallel."

Would anyone care to explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Benjamin113 said:
"Light cones cannot be tilted so that they are parallel."
That sentence doesn't make any sense to me either. Is that an exact quote from a book?

Do you understand what it means to say that a Lorentz transformation "tilts" the time axis or a simultaneity line?

Thank you for your response!

Yes, and that does make more sense. I believe now that the term "tilting" was meant to have a more...figurative...meaning than the light cone literally tilting.

Benjamin113 said:
Yes, and that does make more sense. I believe now that the term "tilting" was meant to have a more...figurative...meaning than the light cone literally tilting.
In coordinate systems in general relativity, light cones in a diagram using these coordinates may be tilted...for example, here is a diagram showing worldlines of particles and photons near the event horizon of a black hole in Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates (the diagram is from the textbook Gravitation by Misner/Thorne/Wheeler), you can see that if we draw in the future light cones of various events on these worldlines, they look more tilted as you approach the horizon (the grey column, the vertical axis being time):

http://www.valdostamuseum.org/hamsmith/DFblackIn.gif

http://www.etsu.edu/physics/plntrm/relat/blackhl.htm has some similar diagrams at the bottom, one showing more clearly how for an event exactly on the horizon, the light cone has tilted over enough so it becomes impossible for anything in the future light cone to be outside the horizon:

http://www.etsu.edu/physics/plntrm/relat/eventho2.gif

Still, I don't understand what it would mean to say light cones "cannot be tilted so that they are parallel". Can you give some more context for that statement? Were they talking about general relativity or special relativity, for example?

Last edited by a moderator:

By the way, thanks for the diagrams.

OK, so the full paragraph of the wikipedia article is:
In a curved spacetime, the light-cones cannot all be tilted so that they are 'parallel'; this reflects the fact that the spacetime is curved and is essentially different from Minkowski space. In vacuum regions (those points of spacetime free of matter), this inability to tilt all the light-cones so that they are all parallel is reflected in the non-vanishing of the Weyl tensor.
Does this reference to the Weyl tensor make sense to people well-versed in GR? The article doesn't cite a source...

1. What is a light cone?

A light cone is a visual representation of the path that light travels in space-time. It is formed by the intersection of the past and future light cones of an event, with the event at the apex of the cone.

2. How is a light cone used in physics?

In physics, light cones are used to visualize the causal relationships between events. They show which events can influence each other and the maximum speed at which information can travel.

3. What does it mean for a light cone to tilt?

When people say that a light cone is tilting, they are referring to the fact that the angle of the cone changes depending on the reference frame of the observer. This is a fundamental concept in relativity, as it shows that time and space are relative to the observer.

4. How does the tilt of a light cone affect our perception of time and space?

The tilt of a light cone affects our perception of time and space by showing that they are not absolute, but rather dependent on the observer's reference frame. This means that the order of events and the distance between objects can appear differently to different observers.

5. Can a light cone tilt in both space and time?

Yes, a light cone can tilt in both space and time. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames, and therefore the tilt of the cone will change depending on the relative motion of the observer in both space and time.