What level of Maths do I need to know to solve Irodov's problems?

• Thread starter TidusBlade
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the math needed to solve problems in Irodov's Problems in General Physics book. The recommended topics to learn are single variable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations. Resources such as Stewart's Calculus, sosmath.com, and tutorial.math.lamar.edu are suggested. For a deeper understanding of calculus, books by Spivak and Apostol are recommended, as well as "Calculus and Analytical Geometry" by Thomas and Finney.
TidusBlade
I recently found myself interested in Physics, especially solving physics problems, looked up a few books and stumbled upon Irodov's Problems in General Physics. I'm enthusiastic about starting to solve stuff in it but most of the problems are quite math intensive it seems and since I've only finished my IGCSE Maths, it's obvious I have no idea of the math needed to solve most questions xD

So I was wondering if anyone could guide me on what levels or topics in Maths should I learn first to be able to tackle these problems. Calculus and Trig seem like obvious choices but calc is pretty big by itself, so was looking for a little guidance on where to start :) I'm pretty good at maths and I love self teaching myself stuff so I hope this'll be a nice challenge!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Single variable calculus is enough.

Ah ok then, I'll see if I can find a good book or resource on single variable calculus then, I assume that's only Calculus I. Thanks :)

You need a little bit of vector calculus for electrodynamics, which you can pick up pretty easily if you're comfortable with calculus.

From what I've heard, you probably need some knowledge of differential equations as well. But I don't think you need to know anything more advanced than separable equations and linear equations, both of which can be found in a calc textbook such as Stewart's Calculus, I think. This is a pretty good site for differential equations (the topics I mentioned are the very first two listed): sosmath.com/diffeq/diffeq.html.

thrill3rnit3 said:
You need a little bit of vector calculus for electrodynamics, which you can pick up pretty easily if you're comfortable with calculus.
Well I hate Electro anything in Physics so I guess I'll be avoiding that chapter for now :P Thanks for the info though!

snipez90 said:
From what I've heard, you probably need some knowledge of differential equations as well. But I don't think you need to know anything more advanced than separable equations and linear equations, both of which can be found in a calc textbook such as Stewart's Calculus, I think. This is a pretty good site for differential equations (the topics I mentioned are the very first two listed): sosmath.com/diffeq/diffeq.html.
Thanks for the site and info, but yeah I guess those topics fall under Single Variable Calculus, or so I'm assuming, but I'll be sure to include them in my preparation anyways. Thanks!

If you just want a quick intro just for the methods, tutorial.math.lamar.edu.

physicsnoob93 said:
If you just want a quick intro just for the methods, tutorial.math.lamar.edu.
Hmmm the site does look interesting but I'm more interested in actually understanding calculus instead of just being able to solve the problems. By reading around it seems Spivak's book and Apostol's are highly recommended if you want to understand Calculus, and they're challenging, which is what I like!

Thanks for the link though, should come in handy :)

Spivak is good. Apostol was too much for me.

TidusBlade said:
Hmmm the site does look interesting but I'm more interested in actually understanding calculus instead of just being able to solve the problems. By reading around it seems Spivak's book and Apostol's are highly recommended if you want to understand Calculus, and they're challenging, which is what I like!

Yeah the lamar website is pretty much just a quick reference if you forgot how to do something.

TidusBlade said:

Have a look at "Calculus and Analytical Geometry" by Thomas and Finney (and don't be put off by the size -- its one of the friendliest books I've come across).

1. What is Irodov's problem?

Irodov's problem refers to a set of advanced physics problems created by Russian physicist and educator, Isaak Irodov. These problems are known for their difficulty and are commonly used to test students' understanding of physics concepts.

2. What level of math is required to solve Irodov's problems?

Irodov's problems require a strong understanding of calculus, including differential and integral calculus. A solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry is also necessary.

3. Do I need to know higher-level math, such as linear algebra or multivariate calculus?

While some Irodov's problems may involve concepts from higher-level math, such as linear algebra or multivariate calculus, a strong understanding of basic calculus and algebra is usually sufficient to solve most problems.

4. Can I use mathematical software to solve Irodov's problems?

While mathematical software may be helpful in solving some of the more complex problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying math concepts and principles. Relying solely on software may hinder a student's ability to fully understand and solve the problems.

5. How can I improve my math skills to solve Irodov's problems?

To improve your math skills for solving Irodov's problems, it is important to practice regularly and review basic concepts in algebra and calculus. It may also be helpful to work through similar physics problems and seek guidance from a tutor or teacher if needed.