Mech hobbies/work suggestions?

• Thread starter meowthecat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary: This will give you a better understanding of mechanics and how things work. Additionally, you can ask the mechanic for help with your mechanical engineering projects.
meowthecat
Hi, I am a second-year civil engineering major and am very interested in changing to mechanical eng. My issue is that while I have an excellent grasp of math and physics so far, and feel as though I have an intuitive understanding of mechanical motion (i.e. I know how my car works, but not what most of the parts are called); I have very little mechanical experience. I would like to gain some real world experience with mechanics and whatnot to see if I have any hope of being a mechanical eng. Could anyone suggest any hobbies (I am considering robot building) or entry level work a woman would actually be hired for, that would increase my knowledge of applicable mechanics? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
RC helicopters are a great hobby for any engineer. Cars are good to but they cost a lot of money to have one as a hobby. Robots are mostly oriented around digital logic/electromechanics and don't touch a whole lot on mechanical engineering. RC helis though will teach you the practical side of fluid mechanics, vibrations, kinetics/kinematics, materials, structures, and thermodynamics.

2371652289_ca268a88d9.jpg

When I was in college in the 1950s, I got all the mech engineering work/hobby I wanted keeping my '41 Buick running. Fortunately, there was a junkyard nearby with another '41 Buick.

Topher925 said:
RC helis though will teach you the practical side of fluid mechanics, vibrations, kinetics/kinematics, materials, structures, and thermodynamics.
Only if you want to. I know plenty of people that fly RC helicopters and planes that can't even spell fluid mechanics let alone talk about it. However, you will never find a more beautiful combination of moving parts than those of a helicopter.

Just remember that mechanical engineering is extremely broad. Despite the name, you can be very much involved in other aspects of engineering and still be an ME. You don't have to be a grease monkey, but it sure helps. I always moan at work that we let brand new engineers right out of college design parts for jet engines but have never taken one apart or put one together. I think it is a serious gap in experience that needs to be bridged.

I would recommend anything that you can get your hands dirty with would be a good thing. You can really find teaching examples in almost anything if you look hard enough and with a critical eye. You can learn a lot from simply taking your lawn furniture apart. Always ask questions about what you see and see if you know why something is the way it is. If not, find out.

FredGarvin said:
Only if you want to. I know plenty of people that fly RC helicopters and planes that can't even spell fluid mechanics let alone talk about it. However, you will never find a more beautiful combination of moving parts than those of a helicopter.

Very true, but I think that goes for just about any hobby. I know guys who can build and tune an entire car engine but don't know what an Otto cycle is. Every hobby is as educational as you make it I guess. I agree with what you said about any hands on experience is good experience. Employers also LOVE seeing technical hobbies on a resume.

FredGarvin said:
you will never find a more beautiful combination of moving parts than those of a helicopter.

We fixed-wing folks like to call them an accumulation of spare parts flying in loose formation. :biggrin:

Meowthecat, it is always worthwhile to make friends with an auto mechanic and hang out in the shop with him/her.

1. What are some popular mech hobbies?

Some popular mech hobbies include building model robots and vehicles, participating in robotics competitions, and creating custom 3D printed designs.

2. How can I get started with mech hobbies?

The best way to get started with mech hobbies is to do some research and find a specific area that interests you. You can also join online communities or local clubs to connect with other enthusiasts and learn from their experiences.

3. What skills are needed for mech hobbies?

Mech hobbies can require a variety of skills depending on the specific activity, but some common skills include basic knowledge of mechanics and electronics, problem-solving, and creativity.

4. Can mech hobbies lead to a career in engineering?

Yes, mech hobbies can be a great way to explore the field of engineering and develop skills that are valuable for a career in this industry. Many engineers and designers have started their journey through a love for mech hobbies.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working on mech hobbies?

Yes, it is important to always wear appropriate safety gear when working with tools and materials, especially when dealing with sharp or potentially hazardous items. It is also important to follow instructions carefully and ask for help if needed.