Unlocking the Mysteries of Simple Equalities in Thermodynamics

• Thread starter An1MuS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of equalities \Delta H=C_{p}\Delta T and \Delta U=C_{v}\Delta T in thermodynamics, and when they can be used, specifically in cases of constant pressure and in compression and expansion of gases. There was also a question about the difference between \delta f=... and df=..., where the former represents a finite change in the function and the latter represents an infinitesimal change in the function.
An1MuS
This is an important concept of thermodynamics,that I'm having some trouble understanding.

My question is, when can we use these equalities?

[tex]\Delta H=C_{p}\Delta T[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta U=C_{v}\Delta T[/tex]

For instance, I thought the first one could only be used when the pressure of the system is constant, but I've seen it being used on compression and expansion of gases.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, there's this little thing i don't know too. What's the difference between writing

[tex]\delta f=...[/tex] and [tex]df=...[/tex]

meaning both derivative of "f"

Engineering news on Phys.org
An1MuS said:
This is an important concept of thermodynamics,that I'm having some trouble understanding.

My question is, when can we use these equalities?

[tex]\Delta H=C_{p}\Delta T[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta U=C_{v}\Delta T[/tex]

For instance, I thought the first one could only be used when the pressure of the system is constant, but I've seen it being used on compression and expansion of gases.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, there's this little thing i don't know too. What's the difference between writing

[tex]\delta f=...[/tex] and [tex]df=...[/tex]

meaning both derivative of "f"
[tex]\delta f=...[/tex] is some finite change in the function. such as evaluating f(1) then f(1.1)

[tex]df=...[/tex] is an infinitesimal change in the function.

i.e. the limit as this change goes to 0.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It is used to study the behavior of systems that involve energy transfer and conversion.

What are simple equalities in thermodynamics?

Simple equalities in thermodynamics refer to the fundamental relationships between different properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. These equalities help us understand the behavior of a system and make predictions about its changes.

How do simple equalities help in understanding thermodynamics?

Simple equalities provide a framework for understanding the behavior of a system in terms of its properties. By using these equalities, we can make predictions about how a system will change under different conditions and analyze the efficiency of energy transfer and conversion processes.

What are some common examples of simple equalities in thermodynamics?

The ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas, is one of the most well-known simple equalities in thermodynamics. Another example is the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.

What is the significance of studying simple equalities in thermodynamics?

Studying simple equalities in thermodynamics allows us to gain a deeper understanding of how energy and heat behave in different systems. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and environmental science, where efficient energy transfer and conversion are essential for practical applications.