Electrically Neutral Object: Does Adding Positive Charge Affect Mass?

• Thread starter unseenoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutral
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether the mass of an electrically neutral object will increase, decrease, or remain the same if it is given a net positive charge. The participants are debating whether the mass will decrease due to the removal of particles or increase due to the addition of hydrogen nuclei. The opinion is split and the question is deemed poorly-worded due to the potential for both outcomes.
unseenoi

Homework Statement

Consider an electrically neutral object. If this object is given a net positive charge does its mass increase, decrease or remain the same?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i say that the mass decrease. but i don't know why, can someone please explain it to me

Physics news on Phys.org
unseenoi said:
i say that the mass decrease. but i don't know why,
Then you can't really say that then can you?

What positive and negative charged particles are there in an atom, which ones can be easily added/removed. To get a positive charge would you have to add or remove particles?

You would have to Add particles.

No.
Try answering each of the questions in the previous post

It's a poorly-worded question because, in fact, the answer can be either increase OR decrease, but since I think adding hydrogen nucleii is probably not what the question is asking about, I think post #2 has the intent of the question correct.

1. What does it mean for an object to be electrically neutral?

An object is considered electrically neutral when it has an equal number of positive and negative charges, resulting in a net charge of zero.

2. How does an object become electrically neutral?

An object can become electrically neutral through the transfer of electrons. For example, when an object gains or loses electrons, the number of positive and negative charges becomes balanced, resulting in an electrically neutral state.

3. Can an object be both electrically neutral and have a charge?

Yes, an object can be electrically neutral and still have a charge. This is possible if the object has an equal number of positive and negative charges, but the overall charge is not zero due to the distribution of those charges.

4. How does an object's electrically neutral state affect its interactions with other objects?

When an object is electrically neutral, it will not experience any electrostatic force from other electrically charged objects. This means that it will not be attracted or repelled by other charged objects.

5. Can an object become permanently electrically neutral?

No, an object cannot become permanently electrically neutral as it is constantly interacting with other charged objects and can gain or lose electrons. However, it is possible for an object to maintain its electrically neutral state for a significant amount of time under certain conditions.