Show if a vector space

Yes, that's the answer: no way José. So your proof is correct, only you could explain a bit better what you mean by xyz=0 and what the problem is with the axioms.In summary, the set T of all ordered triples of real numbers (x,y,z) such that xyz=0 does not form a vector space under the usual operations of addition and scalar multiplication, as it does not satisfy the closure property under addition. This is because adding vectors from different planes (xy, yz, xz) would result in a vector that is not in any of those planes. Therefore, T does not meet the requirements of a vector space according to the ten standard axioms.
hahatyshka

Homework Statement

Let T be the set of all ordered triples of real numbers (x,y,z) such that xyz=0 with the usual operations of addition and scalar multiplication for R^3, namely,

vector addition:(x,y,z)+(x',y',z')=(x+x',y+y',z+z')
scalar multiplication: k(x,y,z)=(kx,ky,kz)

Determine whether T, under the operations of addition and scalar multiplication given above, forms a vector space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that when there are usual addition and multiplication that this would be a vector space, but I am not sure how am I suppose to show it using the axioms. Also, I'm sure what xyz=0 really means?
However, would this solution be correct..?
Axiom 1: If u vector exists in V and v vector exists in V then u+v exist in V.
: (x,y,z)+(x',y',z')= (x+x',y+y',z+z')
Axiom 2: u+v=v+u
:(x,y,z)+(x',y',z')=(x',y',z')+(x,y,z)=(x'+x,y'+y,z'+z)=(x+x',y+y',z+z')
Axiom 3: u+(v+w)=(u+v)+w
:this would hold b/c usual addition
Axiom 4: There exists a 0 vector such that u+0=u=0=u for all vectors u in V.
:(x,y,z)+(0,0,0)=(x,y,z) -> so, (0,0,0)=0 vector
Axiom 5: For every u in V there exists a -u in V such that u+(-u)=0=(-u)+u.
:(x,y,z)+(-x,-y,-z)=(0,0,0) -> so, (-x,-y,-z) is the -u vector
Axiom 6: If k exists in R(real number) and u exist in V then ku exist in V.
:k(x,y,z)=(kx,ky,kz)
Axiom 7: k(u+v)=ku+kv , k is a real number
:k[(x,y,z)+(x',y',z')]=k(x,y,z)+k(x',y',z')
Axiom 8: (k+l)u=ku+lu , k and l are real numbers
: (k+l)(x,y,z)=k(x,y,z)+l(x,y,z)
Axiom 9: k(lu)=(kl)u , k and l are real numbers
: k[l(x,y,z)]=(kl)(x,y,z)
Axiom 10:1u =u
: 1(x,y,z)=(1x,1y,1z)=(x,y,z)
is this correct? but i don't get where am i suppose to use xyz=0..??

Physics news on Phys.org
xyz=0 means when you multiply the three numbers together you get 0. In particular this tells you one of x,y or z must be zero (think about why if you can't see it). Is this closed under addition?

hahatyshka said:

Homework Statement

Let T be the set of all ordered triples of real numbers (x,y,z) such that xyz=0 with the usual operations of addition and scalar multiplication for R^3, namely,

vector addition:(x,y,z)+(x',y',z')=(x+x',y+y',z+z')
scalar multiplication: k(x,y,z)=(kx,ky,kz)

Determine whether T, under the operations of addition and scalar multiplication given above, forms a vector space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that when there are usual addition and multiplication that this would be a vector space, but I am not sure how am I suppose to show it using the axioms. Also, I'm sure what xyz=0 really means?
However, would this solution be correct..?
Axiom 1: If u vector exists in V and v vector exists in V then u+v exist in V.
: (x,y,z)+(x',y',z')= (x+x',y+y',z+z')
You haven't done anything but state what you want to prove! In particular, you haven't shown that if (x,y,z) and (x',y',z) are in V then (x+x', y+ y', z+ z') is in V. If xyz= 0 and x'y'z'= 0, does it follow that (x+x')(y+y')(z+z')= 0?
(Hint, just use "0"s and "1"s for x, y, z, x', y', z'.)

Axiom 2: u+v=v+u
:(x,y,z)+(x',y',z')=(x',y',z')+(x,y,z)=(x'+x,y'+y,z'+z)=(x+x',y+y',z+z')
Axiom 3: u+(v+w)=(u+v)+w
:this would hold b/c usual addition
Axiom 4: There exists a 0 vector such that u+0=u=0=u for all vectors u in V.
:(x,y,z)+(0,0,0)=(x,y,z) -> so, (0,0,0)=0 vector
Axiom 5: For every u in V there exists a -u in V such that u+(-u)=0=(-u)+u.
:(x,y,z)+(-x,-y,-z)=(0,0,0) -> so, (-x,-y,-z) is the -u vector
Axiom 6: If k exists in R(real number) and u exist in V then ku exist in V.
:k(x,y,z)=(kx,ky,kz)
Axiom 7: k(u+v)=ku+kv , k is a real number
:k[(x,y,z)+(x',y',z')]=k(x,y,z)+k(x',y',z')
Axiom 8: (k+l)u=ku+lu , k and l are real numbers
: (k+l)(x,y,z)=k(x,y,z)+l(x,y,z)
Axiom 9: k(lu)=(kl)u , k and l are real numbers
: k[l(x,y,z)]=(kl)(x,y,z)
Axiom 10:1u =u
: 1(x,y,z)=(1x,1y,1z)=(x,y,z)
is this correct? but i don't get where am i suppose to use xyz=0..??

so would this solution be correct?

so if xyz=0 then x or y or z or (x,y,and z) must equal zero
suppose z=0
axiom 10: 1(x,y,z)=(1x,1y,1z)=(1x,1y,0)=(x,y,0)
which doesn't equal (x,y,z)
therefore not a vector space

please help..!

Well, it does because z=0.

Try taking two sample vectors and adding them together

This is an old thread but I just ran into the same question myself, it's problem 1.3(c) from Hassani.
Basically a space with the condition that xyz=0 includes all vectors in the three planes: xy, yz and xz, because any product of xy, yz or xz is allowed because the third coordinate is zero so xyz=0 is satisfied. Now, if you take a vector from the xy plane and add it to a vector in the xz or the yz plane you're obviously NOT going to get something that is still in one of those three planes. Unless of course those two vectors lie on two of the axes, but in general the answer is no.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects (called vectors) and two operations (vector addition and scalar multiplication) that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity element, and inverse element.

How do you show if a set is a vector space?

To show if a set is a vector space, you need to verify if it satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This includes verifying closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, as well as checking for the existence of an identity element and inverse elements for each vector. Additionally, the set must also follow the rules of commutativity and associativity for vector operations.

What is the difference between a vector space and a subspace?

A vector space is a set that satisfies all the properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication, while a subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies these properties. In other words, a subspace is a smaller structure that still functions as a vector space within the larger vector space.

Can a vector space have an infinite number of dimensions?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of dimensions. In fact, many important vector spaces, such as the space of all continuous functions, have infinite dimensions. The number of dimensions of a vector space is determined by the number of linearly independent vectors that span the space.

What are the applications of vector spaces in science?

Vector spaces have many applications in science, including physics, engineering, computer science, and statistics. They are used to model physical systems, analyze data and images, and solve optimization problems. Some examples of vector spaces used in science include Euclidean space, function spaces, and Hilbert spaces.