Are there any comprehensive QM/QP books for 1st year undergrads?

In summary, a good book to start with is Griffiths' Principles of Quantum Mechanics. Another book that is good is Cohen-Tannoudji's Quantum Mechanics. Other classic texts include Griffiths and Liboff.
Dan27
Hey guys, just wondering whether anybody knows of any good, clear books on quantum mechanics for a 1st year undergrad that would take me through my whole 4 year course - with introductory fundamentals of quantum physics through to the modern advances.

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics for its good introductory chapter on the mathematics required. Other classic QM texts include Griffiths and Liboff.

Zettili is getting good reviews at Amazon, but I haven't read it, so I don't know if the reviews are true. I actually haven't read any of the good introductory texts, so I won't say anything more about them. But whatever book you choose to be your first, I think you should also get Isham and read that on the side. It's a short and easy book with more focus on what the theory is actually saying than on what you can calculate with it.

The best advanced book is Ballentine, but it would be a really bad idea to make that your first book.

I have also found some of the older books, like H. A. Kramers' "Quantum Mechanics" and L. D. Landau's "Quantum Mechanics" to be useful, since they were written by people who were active participants in the initial development of quantum mechanics, and therefore have a clearer view of the foundations and structure of the subject. They also go into much more detail on applications to molecules, atoms, solids, radiation etc. that the modern 'standard' introductory textbooks don't treat in any detail.

A.C Phillips - Introduction to QM - Good for Wave-Mechanical Approach but useless beyond 2nd year really.
Auletta - Nice book but really helpful from 3rd year and up.
Shankar is good but could do with an update.
Griffiths book may be a good investment.
Townsend - This is a good book and would be good for most of your degree.

Cheers for the replies!
Just went for Griffiths' book, had good reviews and sounds like a good introductory one.

Consider also Cohen-Tannoudji's two books "Quantum Mechanics". Essential pedagogical masterpiece!

Likes Joker93
Consider also David Miller's "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521897831/?tag=pfamazon01-20) among others.
I value it very high since it is very well written and suitable even for self-study. And there's one more reason - It is no good to stick only to one title.
The author himself points out that:
"My personal experience is that a difficult topic finally becomes clear to me once I have five books on it open on my desk."

Likes Joker93
Shanker's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is quite good and I learned it by myself.
Griffiths' book is also very good.
Laudau's book is much more difficult and I think it is not easy to read.

Thanks again, I'll get these all down on a list for when I'm next looking to get a few books :)

So far got - Griffith's and the Feynman lecture series. Plus some general books for conceptual rather than mathematical reading from Kaku, Hawking, Greene etc.

BTW: somewhere online you can also find the exercises with solutions associated with the Feynman lectures.

What is the difference between quantum mechanics (QM) and quantum physics (QP)?

Quantum mechanics is a subset of quantum physics, and it deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. Quantum physics, on the other hand, is a broader field that includes not only the behavior of particles, but also the study of fields, waves, and other phenomena on a quantum level.

Do I need a strong background in math to understand undergraduate QM/QP books?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is necessary to fully comprehend and apply the concepts in undergraduate QM/QP books. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of differential equations and complex numbers.

Are there any recommended undergraduate QM/QP books for beginners?

Some popular and highly recommended books for beginners in undergraduate QM/QP include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar.

Can I use undergraduate QM/QP books as a self-study resource?

Yes, undergraduate QM/QP books can be a great resource for self-study. However, it is important to supplement your learning with additional resources, such as online lectures, problem sets, and practice exams, to fully grasp the concepts and improve your understanding.

Are there any online resources or forums for undergraduate QM/QP students to discuss and ask questions?

Yes, there are various online communities and forums dedicated to undergraduate QM/QP, such as Quora, Reddit, and Physics Forums. These platforms allow students to connect with experts and peers, ask questions, and engage in discussions about QM/QP concepts.