Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction

In summary, The conversation discusses various recommendations for textbooks on mechanics, including "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction" by Antonio Fasano and S. Marmi, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, "Mecânica Analítica" by Nivaldo Lemos, "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V. I. Arnold, and "Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by José & Saletan. The conversation also mentions that "Meccanica" by Gallavotti is a good resource for Italian readers. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of choosing a suitable textbook for a course in basic mechanics, Lagrangian mechanics, and Hamiltonian mechanics.
d.zanellato
Hello.

Someone knows the book: "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction" by Antonio Fasano, S. Marmi?
Is this a good book on mechanics?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

Any recommendations for a text which provides an introduction to Lagrangian mechanics and continues on to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Last edited:
Ed Aboud said:
Bump

Any recommendations for a text which provides an introduction to Lagrangian mechanics and continues on to Hamiltonian mechanics?

The classical reference is "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein.
In my course on Analytical Mechanics, here in Brazil, I used "Mecânica Analítica" by Nivaldo Lemos. It is very similar to Goldstein's book.

For a more geometric approach: "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics", by V. I. Arnold or, for a more smooth transition, "Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by José & Saletan.

Arnold's book will be my next fun :)

The Fasano-Marmi was my textbook during undergraduate studies -- I covered almost the whole book in two courses. To me it definitely doesn't seem a book for rookies: the part on hamiltonian dynamic is rather abstract though I enjoyed much the exposition. I eventually recommend for a course in basic mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian. Avoid the chapter on continuous mechanic and ergodic theory -- the book wants to cover lots of different topics though only fundamental theories are exhaustive and well-made. If you are Italian, you might want to take a look to "Meccanica" by Gallavotti too.

Ll.

I am not familiar with this specific book, but I am familiar with the topic of analytical mechanics. Analytical mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that uses mathematical methods, such as calculus and differential equations, to study the motion of particles and systems. It is a foundational subject in physics and engineering.

Based on the titles and authors, it seems that "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction" by Antonio Fasano and S. Marmi is a textbook on the topic of analytical mechanics. Without having read the book myself, I cannot provide a personal opinion on its quality. However, based on the reputation of the authors and the fact that it is a textbook, it is likely a credible and informative resource for studying analytical mechanics. I would recommend reading reviews or asking for recommendations from other scientists or students who have used the book before making a decision on whether or not to use it as a resource for your studies.

1. What is analytical mechanics?

Analytical mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that uses mathematical methods to study the motion and behavior of physical systems and particles. It seeks to understand the underlying principles and laws that govern the motion of objects in a systematic and analytical way.

2. What are the main topics covered in "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction"?

Some of the main topics covered in "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction" include kinematics, dynamics, Lagrangian mechanics, Hamiltonian mechanics, and special topics such as rigid body motion and small oscillations. The book also covers important mathematical concepts and tools such as calculus, differential equations, and variational principles.

3. Who is the target audience for "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction"?

"Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction" is typically used as a textbook for undergraduate and graduate courses in physics and engineering. It is also suitable for self-study by anyone with a strong background in mathematics and physics.

4. What are the benefits of studying analytical mechanics?

Studying analytical mechanics can help develop a deeper understanding of classical mechanics and its applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It also provides a solid foundation for further studies in advanced topics such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction"?

Yes, a strong background in calculus, differential equations, and classical mechanics is necessary to fully understand the concepts presented in the book. Some familiarity with mathematical tools such as vector calculus and linear algebra is also beneficial.