Can a Spaceship Always Spot the Lone Inhabitant on a Spherical Planet?

• Thread starter Heirot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary, the spaceship can't see the inhabitant if he's on a planet, but if he's close enough to the planet (just above the surface), the ship can eventually see him.
Heirot

Homework Statement

Spherical planet has only one inhabitant that can move freely on the surface of the planet with speed u. A spaceship approaches the planet with velocity v. Show that if v/u > 10, the spaceship can always see the inhabitant regardless of his movement.

Homework Equations

No idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. Is this supposed to be a relativistic problem or a classical mechanical one? Any hints are more than welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
What class/chapter is this for? Has me stumped atm unless the problem statement is incomplete.

Our professor gives us all kinds of problems so that we become versatile physicists like Landau. This one came under mathematical physics.

Problem is incomplete. That suggests you should make some assumptions on your own. However, it is pretty easy to construct initial conditions such that the ship doesn't see the inhabitant the moment it starts, so obviously you can't prove the statement. OTOH, if ship is close enough (it hovers just above the inhabitant head) it is enough that v/u > 1.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough - the ship should see inhabinant eventualy, not neccessarily at the initial moment. If he's on a planet, he can't hide forever. With that said, I presume the worst initial conditions result in a factor 10.

Ah, well that's not what the problem said originally (it said "always see the inhabitant").

Anyway, to provide a really solid solution, I think you'd have to start with a little game theory, to figure out the optimal escape strategy for the planet's inhabitant and the optimal search strategy for the ship to counter it. Already that seems way outside the scope of a physics class. (Interesting problem, though)

I suppose you could think about how much of the planet can be seen at a time from the ship, and see if that leads to anything... although I thought about it a bit and I still don't see where the 10 comes from.

I think that 10 is an approximation of pi^2.

One of my guesses would be that if the planet has a radius R and the ship is displaced by d from the center of the planet, then, one can calculate the amount of the planet surface seen from the ship (let's call it ship's area). It decreases with d. The worst case scenario is that the inhabitant is initially on the other side of the planet. If the ship can get to the other side faster then the inhabitant can escape the ship's area located in the point where the inhabitant was at the beginning then the ship can locate the inhabitant. Unfortunately, this doesn't give pi^2 nor 10.

Hm, π² at least seems less random...
Heirot said:
One of my guesses would be that if the planet has a radius R and the ship is displaced by d from the center of the planet, then, one can calculate the amount of the planet surface seen from the ship (let's call it ship's area). It decreases with d.
Actually it increases with d, doesn't it? Take Earth as an example: if you're just above the surface, you can only see a few miles in any direction at best, but from the ISS in low orbit, you can see entire continents. And looking from the moon, you see nearly half the Earth's surface. So the further away you are, the more you see.

Of course, I still can't think of anything that would really clarify this problem either...

Yes, you're right - I mistyped.

diazona said:
Hm, π² at least seems less random...

Hm, so I was not the only person to think that 10 looks ridiculously round for an answer :biggrin:

Yeah, it's awfully suspicious-looking, sitting there nonchalantly without a decimal point :wink:

What is "Hide and Seek on a Planet"?

"Hide and Seek on a Planet" is a game where players hide and seek on a planet, similar to the traditional game played on Earth. However, instead of hiding in a small area, players have the entire planet to hide on.

How do you play "Hide and Seek on a Planet"?

To play "Hide and Seek on a Planet," one player is chosen as the seeker and the rest of the players are hiders. The seeker counts to a designated number while the hiders find a hiding spot on the planet. Once the seeker finishes counting, they must find and tag all the hiders before they can reach the designated "home base" on the planet.

What are some challenges of playing "Hide and Seek on a Planet"?

Some challenges of playing "Hide and Seek on a Planet" include the vastness of the planet, which can make it difficult for the seeker to find all the hiders. Additionally, the terrain and environment of the planet can provide obstacles and hiding spots for the hiders, making it more challenging for the seeker to find them.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when playing "Hide and Seek on a Planet"?

Yes, it is important to establish boundaries and rules before playing to ensure the safety of all players. It is also important for players to be aware of their surroundings and potential hazards on the planet. It is recommended to have adult supervision when playing with younger children.

Can "Hide and Seek on a Planet" be played on any planet?

In theory, "Hide and Seek on a Planet" can be played on any planet that has a solid surface and breathable atmosphere. However, it is important to consider the safety and accessibility of the planet before playing. It may be more suitable to play on a smaller, uninhabited planet rather than a large, populated one.