Need help with friction forces please

In summary, the problem is to determine the maximum force, P, that can be applied to block m2 without causing block m1 to move. This is solved by setting up a system of equations based on the forces acting on each block and using the fact that the friction force between the two blocks is equal to the maximum static friction. The final solution is P=(m1+m2)(mu)g.
mewmew
Hi, I was giving a problem by my teacher that will most likely be on the exam. A block, m1, is ontop of another block, m2 and there is a constant friction, mu, between the two blocks. Between block m2 and the ground there is no friction. What is the largest force, P, that can be put on m2 and have m1 stay in its same position. I have F=m1a and F=m2a, F = (mu)N1 = (mu)m1g. It seems really easy but for some reason I am having trouble with it. Thanks

Edit: My exam is in an hour so I was typing fast without thinking.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
F is NOT N1!
It is the frictional force between m1 and m2!
Hence, you must solve the system when F equals MAXIMAL STATIC FRICTION,
F= (mu)N1.

I also don't understand the P-F ? isn't the ground with block 2 frictionless?

Sorry, I was typing faster than I was thinking so I got a few things mixed up, I think it should be correct now.

Ok draw a freebody diagram on each block,

On the block on the ground you have the contact force exerted by the block on top, and the force p, plus its weight.

On the block on the top, you got the friction force, plus the same magnitude for the contact force exerted by block on the ground, and its weight.

You know if the friction force of the block on the top is equal to the acceleration caused by the P force, then the block won't fall.

Try to solve from there.

So, is the following correct?

F = mu(m1g)

P=m2a
F=m1a

I could then solve one for a, and get for example a = f/m1 and then plug that into P = m1a and get P = m2(mu(m1g))/m1 ? It doesn't really seem like a good answer, but that's all I can figure out.

No, you have:
P-F=m2a (1)
F=m1a (2)
So, adding (1) and (2):
P=(m1+m2)a(3)
Since F is maximal static friction, we get a=(mu)g, or:
P=(m1+m2)(mu)g

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the two surfaces rubbing against each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, therefore it can slow down or stop the motion of an object. It also causes objects to heat up due to the energy produced by the rubbing of surfaces.

3. How is friction calculated?

The force of friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction, which is a constant value determined by the two surfaces in contact, by the normal force, which is the force exerted by the surface on the object.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery surface between the two objects. Additionally, smoother surfaces can also decrease the amount of friction.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Some examples of friction in everyday life include walking on the ground, writing with a pencil, and using brakes on a bike or car. Friction is also important in sports, such as in soccer when the ball rolls on the grass, or in ice skating when the blades rub against the ice.