Terminal velocity of 20 lb bowling ball at 40,000 feet

In summary, the conversation includes a request for an estimated terminal velocity of a bowling ball falling through 40,000 feet and a mention of using the drag coefficient in calculations. There is also a discussion about aiming a ball from such a height and the possibility of a GPS or laser-guided bowling ball.
mrdans777
I am looking for an estimated terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball falling through 40,000 feet. I have looked at the equation, but am not sure what to use for the drag coefficient. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrdans777 said:
I am looking for an estimated terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball falling through 40,000 feet. I have looked at the equation, but am not sure what to use for the drag coefficient. Thanks for any help.

Um, why do you ask?

berkeman said:
Um, why do you ask?

I just did some calculations and i sincerely hope he isn't thinking what i think you were thinking when you asked this... :biggrin:

everyone needs to calm down, there is no way to aim a ball from 40,000 feet

Curl said:
everyone needs to calm down, there is no way to aim a ball from 40,000 feet

What if it's a laser-guided bowling ball.

Pengwuino said:
What if it's a laser-guided bowling ball.

Exactly! Those 3 little holes can be used for more than just 2 fingers and a thumb :bugeye:

No, it's a GPS guided bowling ball. Those 3 holes are correction thrusters.
Jeeze, do I have to teach you guys EVERYTHING?

1. What is the terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball at 40,000 feet?

The terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball at 40,000 feet is approximately 589 miles per hour (mph). This is the maximum speed at which the bowling ball will fall due to air resistance balancing out the force of gravity.

2. How does altitude affect the terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball?

As altitude increases, the air becomes less dense and there is less air resistance acting on the bowling ball. This causes the terminal velocity to increase, meaning the bowling ball will fall faster at higher altitudes.

3. Can the terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball at 40,000 feet be calculated?

Yes, the terminal velocity can be calculated using the formula v=sqrt((2mg)/ρACd), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the bowling ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the bowling ball, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

4. What factors can affect the terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball?

The terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball can be affected by factors such as altitude, air density, mass of the bowling ball, cross-sectional area, and the shape of the bowling ball. Other external factors, such as wind, can also impact the terminal velocity.

5. Is the terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball at 40,000 feet the same as that of other objects?

No, the terminal velocity of a 20 lb bowling ball at 40,000 feet will be different from that of other objects due to differences in mass, shape, and other factors. For example, a feather will have a much lower terminal velocity at 40,000 feet than a bowling ball due to its light weight and large surface area.