Odor absorbtion of baking soda

• Thread starter jmnew51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absorbtion
In summary, baking soda is a weakly alkaline substance that can react with acidic odors and neutralize them. It can be used in powder form or dissolved in water to remove odors, and can even be placed in an open box in a fridge to absorb odors. However, if strong chemicals like ammonia have been used, baking soda may not be as effective.
jmnew51
I do not understand why baking soda is a good absorber of odors. Is it like activated charcoal or something? The reason I ask is because I have patch of odor in my carpet and someone suggested sprinkling baking soda on it. I just do not see this working. Also I have a carpet cleaning machine so could I put some baking soda into the solution and use it that way? Or does it have to be in powder form?

Thank you

Jim

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Baking soda is weakly alkaline, hence it can react with odors with acidic origins and neutralize them. You could put in water to use.

Well I used a lot of ammonia on the carpet so if that did not work I guess the baking soda won't either. How does it absorb odors from your fridge by just putting an open box in there?

Jim

1. How does baking soda absorb odors?

Baking soda is a natural and safe substance that has the ability to absorb and neutralize odors. It works by trapping odor molecules within its porous structure, which helps to eliminate unpleasant smells. Baking soda also has alkaline properties that can react with acidic molecules, neutralizing them and reducing their odorous effects.

2. What types of odors can baking soda absorb?

Baking soda is effective at absorbing a wide range of odors, including those caused by food, pets, and household chemicals. It can also help to eliminate musty or stale smells in enclosed spaces like closets or refrigerators.

3. How should I use baking soda for odor absorption?

For general odor absorption, sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda on carpets, furniture, or other surfaces and let it sit for a few hours before vacuuming it up. For more stubborn odors, you can mix baking soda with water to form a paste and apply it to the source of the odor. Let it sit for a couple of hours before wiping it away.

4. How long does baking soda take to absorb odors?

The time it takes for baking soda to absorb odors can vary depending on the strength of the odor and the amount of baking soda used. In general, it is best to leave baking soda to sit for at least a few hours for maximum effectiveness. For extremely strong odors, you may need to repeat the process multiple times.

5. Is baking soda safe to use for odor absorption?

Yes, baking soda is a safe and natural alternative to chemical-based odor absorbers. It is non-toxic and does not release any harmful fumes, making it safe for use around children and pets. However, as with any substance, it is always best to keep baking soda out of reach of young children and to avoid direct contact with eyes or skin.