Set with a vector space an a group

In summary, the set A contains two elements, a vector space and a group, both with the same underlying set of real numbers raised to the n-th power. However, the vector space and group have different structures defined on them, with the vector space having an addition and scalar multiplication operator, while the group has a commutative addition operation and the concept of identity and inverses. This means that while the set may contain the same elements, it is not accurate to say that it contains only one element, as the two elements have distinct structures. Additionally, it is important to note that the notation used in the original set may be considered an abuse of notation, as the operation is just as important as the underlying set in defining a group
Damidami
I was thinking this: If I have the set [itex] A = \{ \mathbb{R}^n, \mathbb{R}^n \} [/itex] where for the "first" element I mean the real vector space [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex], and the "second" element is the additive group [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex], then does the set [itex] A [/itex] contain one element ([itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex])? Or it contains two elements (a vector space and a group)?

Maybe this has something to do with category theory, where one considers not only the sets but the structure defined on them. But as sets both have the same elements, so I am confused if it has two elements or just one.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Damidami.

When you use the parentheses, do you mean that A contains the union of R^n vector space and R^n additive group, and by additive group you mean you are talking about a group with the addition operator and the set being R^n?

chiro said:
Hey Damidami.

When you use the parentheses, do you mean that A contains the union of R^n vector space and R^n additive group, and by additive group you mean you are talking about a group with the addition operator and the set being R^n?

Yes.

Damidami said:
Yes.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that a group contains a different structure to a vector space.

A vector space contains your set (in this case R^n) as well as an addition and scalar multiplication operator as well as your standard vector space rules that need to be followed. Let's assume your scalars in scalar multiplication are also real numbers and that addition is standard addition.

The group object however has a product definition (in this case its just commutative addition) as well as the associated set it deals with (R^n) along with the identity and collections of pairs of elements that are inverses to each other.

So in regard the above, you have to be careful about what you are considering "the same". The vector space has scalar multiplication whereas the group does not. Also you have the differences about how a group and a vector space are defined in terms of the actual set definitions. I am not 100% sure on the actual set definitions for both the vector space and group objects, but I do know they differ and to answer your question you need to get some definitions for these two objects in terms of their set representation.

I agree with chiro. In most books I've read, the authors rigorously define a group as an ordered pair [itex] (G, \cdot)[/itex] of a set and a binary operation such that the group axioms hold. Usually we just refer to G as the group, but really this is an abuse of notation as the operation is just as important as the underlying set.

Similarly, a vector space is an ordered 4-tuple [itex] (V,F,+,\cdot)[/itex] of the set of vectors (which form an abelian group), the field of scalars, the binary operation of vector addition, and the action of scalar multiplication of F on V.

So really you can't just say, "I want this [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] to be a group and this [itex] \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] to be a vector space." [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] is nothing but a set, with no built-in structure. You are right that we could probably apply a forgetful functor or something to [itex](\mathbb{R}^n, \mathbb{R}, +, \cdot)[/itex] the vector space and get [itex] (\mathbb{R}^n, +)[/itex] the group, but I don't know very much about category theory.

Thanks for your answers.
So the conclusion is the original set I mentioned has two elements, a vector space and a group (with an abuse of notation), and more correctly would be notated as:

[itex] A = \{ (\mathbb{R}^n, \mathbb{R},+, \cdot), (\mathbb{R}^n, +) \} [/itex]

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, called vectors, and two operations, addition and scalar multiplication. These operations follow specific rules, such as closure, associativity, and commutativity, and allow for the manipulation of vectors in a consistent manner.

2. How is a vector space related to a group?

A vector space and a group are both algebraic structures, but they differ in the types of operations and elements they contain. A group only has one operation, typically denoted as multiplication, and it follows specific rules, such as closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. A vector space, on the other hand, has two operations, addition and scalar multiplication, and follows different rules. However, a vector space can be built upon a group by defining one of its operations as addition and utilizing the group's elements as scalars.

3. What are some examples of vector spaces?

Some common examples of vector spaces include the set of all real numbers, the set of all n-dimensional vectors, and the set of all polynomials of degree n or less. Other examples include the set of all continuous functions, the set of all square matrices, and the set of all complex numbers.

4. How are vector spaces useful in scientific research?

Vector spaces are useful in scientific research because they provide a formal framework for analyzing and manipulating mathematical objects. They allow for the representation of complex systems and relationships in a concise and organized manner, making it easier to develop and test scientific theories. Vector spaces are also essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science, where they are used to model and solve real-world problems.

5. Can a vector space have an infinite number of elements?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of elements. In fact, many commonly used vector spaces, such as the set of all real numbers or the set of all continuous functions, have infinitely many elements. This is because the operations of addition and scalar multiplication can be performed on any real or complex number, leading to an uncountably infinite number of possible vectors.