Pneumatic actuators - locking mechanism?

In summary, the problem is using pneumatic linear actuators for an adjustable deflector made of chromium carbide clad plate weighing at least 100 kilos. The question is whether a pneumatic cylinder can be directly linked to the deflector plate without causing problems due to external downward force. Another concern is finding a self-locking cylinder for the desired positioning. A possible solution is using air-over-hydraulic systems or a mid position locked direction control valve. A helpful resource for this topic is the website for Hydraulics & Pneumatics magazine.
Sudorrac
The problem: I was planning on using pneumatic linear actuators for a deflector - to direct the material from a conveyor, correctly down the chute - and i needed the deflector to be adjustable. The deflector itself is made out of chromium carbide clad plate, it will weigh atleast 100 kilos or more. Can i directly link a pneumatic cylinder to the deflector plate, or would the external downward force create too many problems? Also - is there a self locking cylinder that will allow the cylinder to remain in place once moved to a certain position.

I will also be mounting a second pnuematic cylinder, that will be hinged in order for me to get rotation of the deflector.

Any help in this area would be appreciated, cheers :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I do not believe you can safely or accurately hold pneumatics at less than full travel (i.e., fully extended or fully retracted). A physical latch/lock would be needed to hold position at partial extension. Another option is air-over-hydraulic. It may not be any less complicated than fitting some kind of mechanical device, but it can offer more operational flexibility.

A very helpful reference I use is the website for Hydraulics & Pneumatics (industry magazine). Here is their overview on combination air/hydraulic devices:
http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/eBooks/Article/True/67385/

you can use pneumatic cylinder for this application and you can have achieve self locking by using mid position locked direction control valve

1. What is a pneumatic actuator?

A pneumatic actuator is a type of mechanical device that uses compressed air to move or control a mechanism. It can convert energy from compressed air into linear or rotary motion.

2. How does a pneumatic actuator work?

A pneumatic actuator works by using compressed air to create force and motion. When the compressed air is released into the actuator, it pushes against a piston or diaphragm, causing it to move and perform a mechanical task.

3. What is the purpose of a locking mechanism in a pneumatic actuator?

A locking mechanism in a pneumatic actuator is used to hold the actuator in a specific position, preventing it from moving. This is important for applications that require precise and controlled movement, or for safety purposes.

4. How does the locking mechanism in a pneumatic actuator work?

The locking mechanism in a pneumatic actuator works by using a combination of mechanical components, such as gears or latches, to hold the actuator in place. Some actuators may also use pneumatic or hydraulic pressure to lock the mechanism.

5. What are the benefits of using a pneumatic actuator with a locking mechanism?

There are several benefits to using a pneumatic actuator with a locking mechanism, including increased safety, precise and repeatable positioning, and the ability to hold heavy loads. Additionally, pneumatic actuators are often more cost-effective and require less maintenance compared to other types of actuators.