Imagining polar transformation

In summary, the conversation is about visualizing polar-coordinate-transform functions and understanding their effects on geometric figures. The function is defined as ℝ2→ℝ2 with a domain of R2-{0} and a range of r>0 and -\pi<θ≤π. Needham's Visual Complex Analysis presents a helpful way to visualize these functions by dividing the range into a square grid and displaying transformed lines and circles. The question is whether there is a similar method for polar transformations. It is suggested that knowing basic facts, such as lines through origin becoming horizontal and circles becoming vertical, may be enough to understand the transformation. The function can also be written as a complex function, similar to complex logarithm, with a real
alesak23
Hi guys,

I'm trying to visualize what polar-coordinate-transform does to geometric figures in cartesian coordinates.

It should be a function ℝ2→ℝ2, with domain R2-{0} and range r>0 and -[itex]\pi[/itex]<θ≤[itex]\pi[/itex]. I saw in Needham's Visual Complex Analysis a nice way to visualize such functions: he divides range in square grid, throws some lines, circles and other figures on it, and then shows it in another image how it looks transformed. Is there a similar picture for polar transformation?

Or is it enough to know some basic facts, such that it makes lines through origin into horizontal lines and circles into vertical lines?

I guess it could be written as complex function [itex]f(x+iy)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} + i\cdot atan2(x, y)[/itex], as in here.

Physics news on Phys.org
alesak23 said:
I guess it could be written as complex function [itex]f(x+iy)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} + i\cdot atan2(x, y)[/itex], as in here.

To answer myself, it seems this function is very similar to complex logartihm, except scaling of real part.

Complex exponential and logarithm are simiral to polar transformations. It could have occurred to me sooner, seeing Eulers formula.

1. What is polar transformation?

Polar transformation is a mathematical process that converts an image from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates. This means that the image is transformed from a Cartesian grid to a radial grid, resulting in a circular or elliptical shape.

2. Why is polar transformation used?

Polar transformation is used in image processing and computer vision applications to analyze and manipulate images in a more efficient and accurate way. It is particularly useful for images with circular or symmetrical patterns, such as satellite images, medical images, and artistic images.

3. How is polar transformation performed?

Polar transformation involves converting the x-y coordinates of an image into polar coordinates, which are represented by the radius and angle of the polar grid. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using software tools such as Photoshop or Matlab.

4. What are the advantages of polar transformation?

Polar transformation has several advantages, including better feature extraction and analysis, improved noise removal, and reduced computational complexity. It also allows for easier visualization of circular or symmetrical patterns in an image.

5. Are there any limitations of polar transformation?

While polar transformation can be useful in certain applications, it may not be suitable for all types of images. Non-circular or asymmetrical images may not be well-suited for polar transformation, and it may also introduce distortion in the image. Additionally, polar transformation requires some understanding of mathematical concepts and may not be accessible for everyone.