What was the principal nuclear reaction of Fermi's nuclear pile

In summary, the first nuclear pile, CP-1, used un-enriched uranium as fuel and had a principle reaction of absorption of slow neutrons by U-235. The reactor also had a moderator of ultra-pure graphite blocks and used cadmium control rods. Safety measures included buckets of boric acid to be poured in from above. The power output was 0.5 W.
Villhelm
I've known about the basic story of the first nuclear pile since before I can remember, but never found information on what the associated nuclear reaction actually was and was wondering if anyone here knew or could point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reactor fuel was Uranium, so I presume the reactions would be the same as any Uranium reactor.

From various sources, etc., as far as I have pieced together the following should address your question (and related factoids) regarding the first reactor pile, CP-1. (I trust I will be corrected if any of these have come from inaccurate sources.)

Principle reaction = Absorption of slow neutrons by U-235 in un-enriched uranium.

Fuel used = 40 tons of un-enriched uranium dioxide pressed into 17,000 'pseudospheres', plus 6 tons of "Spedding’s eggs", uranium metal in cylinders of 2 1/4" OD x 3" long.

Moderator = 4,000 x 6 lbs ultra-pure graphite blocks, drilled with holes to take the above uranium, plus a further 300 tons of graphite in layers.

Control rods = cadmium.

Safety moderator = buckets of boric acid to be poured in from above

Power output = 0.5 W

1. What is Fermi's nuclear pile?

Fermi's nuclear pile, also known as the Chicago Pile-1, was the first nuclear reactor ever created. It was built by Italian physicist Enrico Fermi and his team in 1942 at the University of Chicago, and was used to demonstrate the controlled nuclear chain reaction for the first time.

2. What was the purpose of Fermi's nuclear pile?

The purpose of Fermi's nuclear pile was to prove the feasibility of a controlled nuclear chain reaction, which is necessary for nuclear power and weapons. This experiment was a crucial step in the development of nuclear technology.

3. What was the principal nuclear reaction of Fermi's nuclear pile?

The principal nuclear reaction of Fermi's nuclear pile was the fission of uranium-235 atoms. The pile was made up of layers of graphite blocks and uranium pellets, which slowed down the neutrons and allowed for a sustained chain reaction to occur.

4. How did Fermi's nuclear pile function?

Fermi's nuclear pile functioned by using uranium as fuel and graphite as a moderator. The uranium atoms were bombarded with slow-moving neutrons, causing them to split and release more neutrons. These neutrons then collided with other uranium atoms, creating a chain reaction that released a massive amount of energy.

5. What were the implications of Fermi's nuclear pile?

Fermi's nuclear pile had significant implications for both scientific research and the development of nuclear technology. It demonstrated the potential for controlled nuclear reactions and paved the way for the development of nuclear power plants and weapons. It also opened up new avenues for studying the structure of the atom and nuclear physics.