Help please, Cannot make archimedes screw work.

In summary, AlephZero was trying to make an archimedes screw to move water from point A to point B, but it wasn't working. He bought a small wooden dowel, some clear plastic tubing, and tried to make the screw with different techniques, but it wasn't working. He saw seven year old kids making the screws on youtube and tried to do it himself, but it wasn't working. He bought a large auger-type drill bit and a plastic tube, and mounted the large pulley on the drive-end of the auger, then replaced the blade unit on the fan with the small pulley. He linked the two pulleys with some kind of belt, and left the rest to your imagination.
cdssdr18
Hi guys. I'm *attempting to make* an archimedes screw for my engineering project.

The only stipulations for this project are as follows:
Create a machine that will move water from point A to point B
The machine must be powered by my professor's desk fan.

So, I bought a small wooden dowel, some clear plastic tubing. I wrapped the tubing around the dowel countless number of ways. I attached a pinwheel at the top of the dowel, so as to utilize the desk fan in powering my machine.

I see seven year old kids making archimedes screws on youtube...I absolutely cannot get mine to work. I have tried wrapping the tube around the dowel very loosely, very tight. I am making sure the structure of the tube is in tact...The tube will pick up water but it will not move UP the tube. I have even tried changing the angle of the whole structure to help the water move up the tube. I am beyond frustrated. PLEASE HELP!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is happening? Can you post a picture?

You can't make an archimedes screw that lifs water vertically. Start by trying to move the water horizontally, then see how far you can raise the top of the screw before it stops working.

If you trace the path around one turn of the helix (when it is not turning), it needs to go up and down again, so a "bubble" of water gets trapped in the lowest part and then gets carried along (and upwards) as the screw turns.

There are plenty of video clips on youtube. Here's one. You can clearly see what AlephZero is referring to. The tubing is not wound as directly about the cylinder as one might be tempted to construct it. I think the constructor has actually wound two Archimedian screws onto this axle here, one screw fits inside the other.

If you're allowed to buy stuff, which you indicated by your purchase of the dowel, I would start with a large auger-type drill bit and a plastic tube that it just barely fits inside of. Also one large and one very small pulley.
Smear Vaseline, goose grease, or similar substance around the perimeter of the auger to seal it, and slide it into the tube. Using whatever support structures you want, mount the large pulley on the drive-end of the auger. Remove the blade unit from the fan and replace it with the small pulley. Link the two pulleys with some sort of belt.
I leave the rest to your imagination.

1. How does an Archimedes screw work?

An Archimedes screw is a simple machine used to lift and move water or other fluids. It consists of a helical surface wrapped around a central shaft. As the screw turns, the helical surface pushes the fluid upwards, allowing it to be lifted to a higher level.

2. Why is my Archimedes screw not working?

There are a few potential reasons why your Archimedes screw may not be working. It could be due to incorrect assembly, improper alignment, or damaged parts. It is also possible that the screw is not receiving enough power to turn or the fluid is not being properly directed into the screw.

3. How can I improve the efficiency of my Archimedes screw?

To improve the efficiency of your Archimedes screw, you can ensure that the helical surface is tightly wrapped and that the channels between the screw and the casing are properly sealed. Additionally, using a more powerful motor or increasing the angle of the screw can also improve its efficiency.

4. Can an Archimedes screw work with any fluid?

An Archimedes screw can work with most fluids, including water, oils, and even slurries. However, the type and viscosity of the fluid can affect the efficiency and performance of the screw. Some adjustments may be necessary for optimal operation with different fluids.

5. What are some common applications of an Archimedes screw?

Archimedes screws have a variety of applications, including irrigation systems, drainage systems, and wastewater treatment plants. They can also be used in industries such as agriculture, mining, and manufacturing to move materials and fluids. In modern times, they are also used in renewable energy production, such as hydropower and wind turbines.