Calculating Bending Moments for a Supported Bar: Need Help!

In summary, a bending moment is a measure of internal forces on a beam that cause it to bend. It is important to consider bending moments for determining structural integrity and maximum load capacity. Bending moments can be calculated using statics and trigonometry, and are affected by factors such as load distribution, support type, and beam properties. To reduce bending moments, measures such as increasing stiffness or adding support can be taken. Proper design and construction are also key in minimizing bending moments for structural stability and safety.
barry-
Hello all can anyone advise me if i am doing this right, i have a 3m bar supported at both ends at 1m in 5kn and 2m in 10 kn, i understood that moments A = 1x5 and 2x10 =25/3 and support A upward force 8.3kn and B 5+10-8.3 = 6.7kn? anyhelp would be great thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would be a big help if you would post a figure.

What is a bending moment?

A bending moment is a measure of the internal forces acting on a beam that cause it to bend or deform. It is typically represented by the symbol "M" and is measured in units of force multiplied by distance (e.g. newton-meters or pound-feet).

Why is it important to consider bending moments?

Bending moments are important because they can help engineers and designers determine the structural integrity and stability of a beam or structure. They also play a critical role in determining the maximum load a beam can withstand before it fails.

How do you calculate bending moments?

The bending moment at any point along a beam can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on the beam by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force. This calculation can be done using the principles of statics and trigonometry.

What factors can affect bending moments?

The magnitude and distribution of loads, the type of support at each end of the beam, and the shape and material properties of the beam can all affect bending moments. Other factors such as temperature changes and external forces can also play a role.

How can you reduce bending moments?

Bending moments can be reduced by increasing the stiffness or strength of the beam, redistributing loads, or adding additional support. Properly designing and constructing a structure can also help to minimize bending moments and ensure its stability and safety.