Washing machine motor soap extruder

In summary, the conversation is about a person wanting to start a small home business making soap on a tight budget. They are interested in using a soap extruder machine and plan on fabricating the rest of the machine themselves. They are considering using a washing machine motor to drive the screw and are seeking advice on the viability of this and what size screw and barrel they would need to order from the supplier. They also mention a manufacturer asking about the power of the motor and gear ratios.
techguy2000
Hello

I am trying to start a small home business making soap. I am on a really tight budget and also very new to the extrusion process.

While I may be extruding soap, I understand that the process is very similar to plastic extrusion.

I want to extrude soap bars using a machine similar to the soap extruder on this website

http://soaptec.biz/products_dp_finesextruder.html

However I am trying to make this as cheaply as possible.

I plan on buying a screw and barrel and then fabricating the rest of the machine myself.

I am thinking of using a washing machine motor to drive the screw.

Could you please advise me on the viability of this?

What size screw and barrel would I need to order from the supplier? I was told that a 30mm or 40mm screw would be best, a 100mm screw would require too much power and would be too expensive.

Would a washing machine motor be suitable?

The manufacturer of the screw and barrel asked me what power motor would be used and what are the gear ratios. What should I tell him? I have not told him that I plan to use a machine motor :rofl:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tell him the power of the motor and what rpm you plan on running the screw at...

1. How does a washing machine motor soap extruder work?

A washing machine motor soap extruder works by using the rotation of a motor to power the extrusion process. The motor is connected to a shaft that turns the extruder screw, which forces the soap mixture through a die to create a specific shape or size.

2. What kind of soap can be made with a washing machine motor soap extruder?

A washing machine motor soap extruder can be used to make a variety of soap, including bar soap, liquid soap, and soap flakes. The type of soap depends on the ingredients and recipe used, as well as the shape and size of the die used in the extruder.

3. Is it safe to use a washing machine motor soap extruder at home?

As with any machinery, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a washing machine motor soap extruder. Make sure to read the manufacturer's instructions and wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection. It is also important to keep the extruder out of reach of children and pets.

4. Can a washing machine motor soap extruder be used for other purposes?

While a washing machine motor soap extruder is primarily designed for making soap, it can also be used for other purposes such as creating clay shapes or extruding food items like pasta or cookie dough. However, it is important to thoroughly clean the extruder before and after using it for different purposes to avoid cross-contamination.

5. How do I maintain and clean a washing machine motor soap extruder?

Proper maintenance and cleaning are essential for the longevity and effectiveness of a washing machine motor soap extruder. It is important to regularly lubricate moving parts and clean the extruder after each use. This can be done by disassembling the extruder and wiping down all parts with warm soapy water, then thoroughly drying before reassembling. It is also important to check for any buildup or clogs in the extruder screw and die, and remove them if necessary.