Tackling a Tricky Limit: 0/0 & ∞-∞

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: I don't want to prove the limit i just want to solve it.\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin x-x}{x^2 \sin x}=\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\cos x-1}{2x \sin x+ x^2\cos x}=\frac{0}{0}And then derive what you have 2 more times and you'll get -cos(x)/something really long.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Calculate the following limit:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{xsinx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried everything possible and i keep getting undefined forms like 0/0 and ∞-∞. Any ideas anyone??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It is indeed an indeterminate form and you should use L'Hopital's Rule:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{xsinx}=\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin x-x}{x^2 \sin x}=\frac{0}{0}[/tex]

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the following limit:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{xsinx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried everything possible and i keep getting undefined forms like 0/0 and ∞-∞. Any ideas anyone??
Can you list what you've tried in more detail so we don't go around in circles?

SammyS said:
Can you list what you've tried in more detail so we don't go around in circles?

I've tried getting a common denominator like sharks stated, and then i tried using trig rules which i couldn't and then now I'm stuck.

I was able to solve it easily using l'hopital's rule 3 times repeatedly and i got an answer of -1/6, but doing it without l'hopital's rule is really difficult.

mtayab1994 said:
I was able to solve it easily using l'hopital's rule 3 times repeatedly and i got an answer of -1/6, but doing it without l'hopital's rule is really difficult.

Using the Taylor series expansion for sin(x) isn't difficult...if you have an indeterminate form limit, trying to algebraically shuffle your way out of it won't help you very much.

mtayab1994 said:

3 times? It should be only once.

sharks said:
3 times? It should be only once.

No, It took me 3 times, because I didn't use taylor expansion.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin x-x}{x^2 \sin x}=\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\cos x-1}{2x \sin x+ x^2\cos x}=\frac{0}{0}[/tex]

sharks said:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin x-x}{x^2 \sin x}=\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\cos x-1}{2x \sin x+ x^2\cos x}=\frac{0}{0}[/tex]

... which is indeterminate.

The answer is: [itex]-\frac{1}{6}[/itex]. You are correct. But i don't see any other method.

Well, you know that [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x^2}-\frac{1}{x\sin x} = -\frac{1}{6}[/itex] (using l'hopital's rule), but, you want to prove it without using l'hopital's rule, so you prove it by definition ((ε,δ)-definition of limit)

so, you use l'hopital's rule to see what is the limit, and then, you prove it by definition (without l'hopital's rule)

sorry for bad English

Does the problem ask you to solve the limit without taylor series or l'Hospital's rule, or are you just wondering if it can be solved without those methods?

scurty said:
Does the problem ask you to solve the limit without taylor series or l'Hospital's rule, or are you just wondering if it can be solved without those methods?

No I'm just wondering if it could be solved without them.

Karamata said:
Well, you know that [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x^2}-\frac{1}{x\sin x} = -\frac{1}{6}[/itex] (using l'hopital's rule), but, you want to prove it without using l'hopital's rule, so you prove it by definition ((ε,δ)-definition of limit)

so, you use l'hopital's rule to see what is the limit, and then, you prove it by definition (without l'hopital's rule)

sorry for bad English

I don't want to prove the limit i just want to solve it.

sharks said:

And then derive what you have 2 more times and you'll get -cos(x)/something really long.

Then when you compute it you will get -1/6, but I don't get how you did it using l'hopitals rule once only??

The easiest way is to first bring everything to a common denominator, then use the Taylor series for sin(x) to the [itex]x^3[/itex] term on both numerator and denominator. Simplify, neglect higher order terms and it gives you a quick answer.

What does it mean when a limit is 0/0?

When a limit is 0/0, it means that the numerator and denominator of the fraction both approach zero as the input value approaches a specific point. This type of limit is known as an indeterminate form, and further analysis is needed to determine the actual limit value.

How do you solve a limit of 0/0?

To solve a limit of 0/0, you can use algebraic manipulation, factoring, or L'Hospital's rule. These methods involve simplifying the limit expression to remove the indeterminate form and then evaluating the limit at the specific point.

What does it mean when a limit is ∞-∞?

When a limit is ∞-∞, it means that the numerator approaches infinity while the denominator approaches negative infinity as the input value approaches a specific point. This is also known as an indeterminate form and requires further analysis to determine the actual limit value.

How do you solve a limit of ∞-∞?

To solve a limit of ∞-∞, you can use algebraic manipulation, factoring, or L'Hospital's rule. These methods involve simplifying the limit expression to remove the indeterminate form and then evaluating the limit at the specific point.

Why is it important to tackle tricky limits like 0/0 & ∞-∞?

Tackling tricky limits like 0/0 & ∞-∞ is important because these indeterminate forms can arise in many mathematical and scientific applications. Being able to accurately evaluate these limits allows for a better understanding of the behavior of functions and their graphs, which is crucial in many areas of science and engineering.