Moment of inertia of a few basic objects

In summary, you need to express r in terms of x and y in order to solve for the moment of inertia. You should also know about the Pythagorean theorem. Once you have that, you can integrate the equation for the moment of inertia.
Draco27
Ok i need some help with some homework that is to derive formula for moment of inertia of a few objects about the axis's that i have mentioned
1. Rectangular slab about axis through center(sides a,b)
2. Annular cylinder about central axis (radii R1 and R2)

The only equation i know is Moment of inertia = ∫r[itex]^2[/itex]dm

any help would be appriciated

I am new here so if this has been answered pls help me locate and lock this up...

Thanking in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you getting stuck? You don't know how to apply the formula you were given? Something else?

Hmm i could do it for sphere or ring or others but got struck on slab

Googled and reached this
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57119

But i could not understand the double integration or how it is done...

So pls help me solve that if possible...

Last edited:
How did you set up the double integral?

What does "axis through center" really mean? There are infinitely many possible axes through the center of a figure.

To Muphrid

Ok What i did is this

rho=M/a*b

dm=rho*dx*dy (assuming smaller rectangles of length dx and dy)

di= dI = r2 * rho* da*db

dI = (r^2 * m * da* db )/abNow it says to integrate with limits from -a/2 to a/2 and -b/2 to b/2

also couldn't understand what to put in r

To voko

Sorry about that
the axis is passing through center and perpendicular to plane of rectangle

Last edited:
r is the distance from the axis to the (x, y) point.

But this distance changes right so what exactly i put??

Also if possible help me reach a solution
i mean what would u do to solve??

The axis is at the point (0, 0). What is the distance between that point and (x, y)?

Draco27 said:
To Muphrid

Ok What i did is this

rho=M/a*b

dm=rho*dx*dy (assuming smaller rectangles of length dx and dy)

di= dI = r2 * rho* da*db

dI = (r^2 * m * da* db )/abNow it says to integrate with limits from -a/2 to a/2 and -b/2 to b/2

also couldn't understand what to put in r

Don't call them [itex]da, db[/itex]. They're [itex]dx[/itex] and [itex]dy[/itex]. This is what you have:

[tex]\int_{-b/2}^{b/2} \int_{-a/2}^{a/2} \rho r^2 \; dx \; dy[/tex]

You're confused about what to put in for [itex]r[/itex]. It should represent the distance to the axis of rotation, but you're integrating in terms of [itex]x,y[/itex]. Is there some way you can put [itex]r[/itex] in terms of [itex]x,y[/itex]?

You are not following the advice given to you. You need to express r in terms of x and y.

Thats the thing i can't figure out

Do u have a solution??

Have you heard of the Pythagorean theorem?

But the r from the central axis changes all around the rectangle...

Are you saying that you are tasked to compute moments of inertia without studying the basic properties of the Cartesian coordinate system? I fail to see the point of such an assignment.

Draco27 said:
But the r from the central axis changes all around the rectangle...

You're not being asked for the distance all around the rectangle, but all throughout the rectangle. Yes, this distance changes as you move within the slab. That's fine. What's important is you have an expression in terms of [itex]x,y[/itex]. Once you do that, you can integrate it.

You should not expect the distance to be a constant.

So which distance do i put in the place of r??

What do you mean which distance? Is there more than one you think might be correct?

so i put r2=x2+y2

after that??

how i solve the double integration??

Last edited:
Do you know how to take a single integral?

of course

Integrals are linear, which means you can do the integrals for [itex]x^2[/itex] and [itex]y^2[/itex] separate and then just add them together at the end.

Then take the single integral by x first. Treat y as a constant. Then take the integral by y.

and which limit do i put after integrating??

there are 4 limits...

would appreciate if u could solve...

Choose a-limits for x, and b-limits for y. Or the other way around. It does not change anything.

Finally...
Got it
Thanks man
Many many thanks...to u and Muphrid

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical quantity that describes how difficult it is to change an object's rotational speed.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and its perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation squared. This can be expressed mathematically as I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the particle, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by an object's mass distribution and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. Objects with more mass located further from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with less mass located closer to the axis of rotation.

4. How does the moment of inertia differ for different shapes?

The moment of inertia varies for different shapes based on their mass distribution and axis of rotation. Objects with more mass located further from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with less mass located closer to the axis of rotation. For example, a solid disk has a higher moment of inertia compared to a hollow disk with the same mass and radius.

5. Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand an object's rotational motion. It is used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as designing structures and machinery, calculating the angular momentum of objects, and understanding the behavior of rotating bodies.