I finding a good study resource for AP Physics BC

In summary, the student is a senior in high school taking AP Physics BC without any prior physics experience. They are struggling with the class and need better resources to study from. Their teacher has provided a book with practice questions, but they are looking for a more comprehensive and challenging resource. They are seeking recommendations for websites such as Khan Academy and OpenStax, as well as past AP Exam questions, to help improve their grade in the class.
ukballer1012
I'm a senior in high school currently taking AP Physics BC (mechanics) without having taken a physics course previously. I normally do well in my classes as I'm 10th in my class and am taking the most difficult level of classes I can. I can't say this for my AP physics class, which I currently have a 78% in. I'm genuinely trying and am not seeing any real results.

What I have learned is that I need better resources to study for the class as a whole because my textbook doesn't really give me a lot of explanations or difficult questions to practice from. The difficulty of his (the teacher's) test questions really throw me off just because we haven't really done any questions like that in class. Also, the AP test review books don't really help either since they assume you have already learned the content. I approached him about this and he gave me this book called "Schaum's Outlines: College Physics" which contains a lot of practice questions on various concepts, which is helpful but I feel like I could find a better resource to study from so I don't have to waste 3 hours of my time consolidating and searching for resources to study from each time we have a test.

So, my question: where can I find a good resource that has a variety of challenging questions to help strengthen my grade in my AP Physics BC (mechanics) class. When I say challenging questions I mean questions that help make you a better problem solver, cover various scenarios, but still stay in the realm of a high school class (questions that are difficult but can be solved with the knowledge gained from the class). So instead of asking what the kinetic friction given the coefficient and normal force, they ask what the kinetic friction is in a difficult case taking previously learned concepts into account and putting in more variables in -- like having 3 unidentical blocks together, connected by strings, each on platforms with different angles and having the front being pushed by a force with a 20 degree angle and having to determine the kinetic friction of each block, the acceleration of the system, and the tension in each of the strings. Sorry if that was a lot; I just wanted to give you a good idea of what I'm talking about :D. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum; I thought this was the most appropriate. I also appreciate any answers given and thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend looking into the Khan Academy's AP Physics BC course. They offer a variety of challenging questions and explanations, and they are all free. Additionally, you can use the free response questions from past AP Exams as practice. These can be found on the College Board website. Finally, I would suggest looking into websites such as OpenStax, which offer textbooks and other resources for free. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are some recommended study resources for AP Physics BC?

Some popular study resources for AP Physics BC include review books such as "Barron's AP Physics C" and "Cracking the AP Physics C Exam." Online resources like Khan Academy and College Board's AP Classroom also offer helpful practice materials and review videos.

2. Are there any free study resources available for AP Physics BC?

Yes, there are several free study resources available for AP Physics BC. Khan Academy offers a comprehensive AP Physics C course for free, and College Board's AP Classroom also provides free practice questions and review materials.

3. How can I effectively use study resources for AP Physics BC?

It is important to use study resources in a strategic and organized way. Start by identifying your weak areas and then use study materials to review and practice those topics. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and stick to it, and to actively engage with the material by taking notes and practicing problems.

4. Are there any study resources specifically for the AP Physics BC exam?

Yes, there are study resources specifically designed for the AP Physics BC exam. Some review books, such as "5 Steps to a 5: AP Physics C 2020" and "AP Physics C Prep Plus 2020 & 2021" focus specifically on the content and format of the AP Physics BC exam.

5. How can I determine which study resources are best for me?

The best study resources for you will depend on your individual learning style and needs. It can be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other students or teachers. You may also want to try out a few different resources to see which ones work best for you.