Introducing the Thanks button

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: yeah, I think "like" would be a better word to describe my feelings. Not on PF :)yeah, i change my comment when i realized what it sounded like,sorry about that.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Did Evo answer this question in post #30?
Partially, by clicking on the praise button on your own post, you will see how many praises you have and the comments. For complete information, go to "My PF", and click on "My Profile, then click on the "Praise" tab. Or just click on your name, and then click "public profile".

Physics news on Phys.org
Did notice one oddity with the button, I tried to give Jim hardy a praise for finding the funny bat picture. I couldn't add a comment to the praise as the dialog would immediately close after one keystroke. This happened while using an ipad so maybe it's an ipad or safari specific issue.

Not to rain on the parade, but I don't care for the addition of the praise button. I have already seen a post saying "if you will help me I will press the praise button" for you.

LCKurtz said:
Not to rain on the parade, but I don't care for the addition of the praise button. I have already seen a post saying "if you will help me I will press the praise button" for you.
That is why Greg made it so that there is no benefit to the person giving or receiving the "praise". We didn't want this to be used for the wrong reasons, which is why the only person that can see if a message was left is the receiver.

LCKurtz said:

:rofl:

That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. :tongue2:

LCKurtz said:

I get your point, on the other hand, what is wrong with that? If someone gets help, they should press the praise button. Whether someone is motivated by getting praises, is their prerogative. At the end of the day, someone is getting help and someone is getting a thank you.

Don't forget the starbucks coffee.

Maybe there should be a
attachment.jpg
button. :devil:

Greg. You can delete this if you wish.

Attachments

• antipraise.jpg
    antipraise.jpg
    778 bytes · Views: 534
dlgoff said:
Maybe there should be a
attachment.jpg
button. :devil:

Greg. You can delete this if you wish.
:rofl:

WannabeNewton said:
Don't forget the starbucks coffee.
Where can I get this?
Paid, not served.

LCKurtz said:
I think I would just ignore those posts.
I cannot find it, however.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We are introducing the "Praise Button"! You'll find it next to "Report" for each post. This is a way to reward members who posted something you appreciate. It is a combination of "Like" and "Thank you".

Member's praise record is located publicly in their member pages via the praise tab. Your personal praise counter is at the top right of every page near your PM message link.

Show the love and start praising members! :)

I think "praise" is too strong a term to use. I mean, "praise you?" Not quite. Thanks for sure if someone helps me and sides, that reduces clutter in the thread so you don't have to post a separate "thank you" post. But praise you? I don't know, kinda' a bit too much.

What's wrong with just a "Thanks" button? I say change it to just "Thanks".

jackmell said:
I think "praise" is too strong a term to use. I mean, "praise you?" Not quite. Thanks for sure if someone helps me and sides, that reduces clutter in the thread so you don't have to post a separate "thank you" post. But praise you? I don't know, kinda' a bit too much.

What's wrong with just a "Thanks" button? I say change it to just "Thanks".

+1 on all that.

We wanted to find something to include "I agree', "Thanks", and "Like". Would you click a "Thanks" button if you liked something someone wrote?

I am willing to put it to a vote if more feel this way.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Would you click a "Thanks" button if you liked something someone wrote?

I absolutely would click if it illuminated my mind. I feel that that's the purpose of this forum and my dim bulb has gotten a shade brighter since I joined and I'm always happy to thank folks for that.

I DO see your point, somewhat, though. I would be less inclined (but NOT totally disinclined) to click on "thanks" if it was a particularly well-stated post that didn't illuminate MY mind but that I felt WOULD illuminate others minds.

I suspect that putting it to a vote would result in "praise" or "like" rather than "thanks" but what the heck ... if it does, it does.

I say put it to a vote (but I do suggest that some minimum # of posts be required to be eligible to vote on this).

Greg Bernhardt said:
We wanted to find something to include "I agree', "Thanks", and "Like". Would you click a "Thanks" button if you liked something someone wrote?

I think the solution is obvious:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58918&stc=1&d=1369171813.png

:D

"Thanks"? Sounds good.

By the way: The layout of the left side of my post looks really broken with that large image and my short nick.

Attachments

• praise.png
    praise.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 524
mfb said:
By the way: The layout of the left side of my post looks really broken with that large image and my short nick.

First week on the job and you're already breaking stuff! :D

Evo said:
the only person that can see if a message was left is the receiver.
What do you mean? You can see the praises and associated messages everyone receives on their "Praise" tab.

Greg Bernhardt said:

If you want to avoid "like," then I'd suggest "approve".

If someone writes a good post answering a question you have then I think your thank you should be explicitly written out and not something you can just phone in with a button click.

lugita15 said:
What do you mean? You can see the praises and associated messages everyone receives on their "Praise" tab.
It's supposed to be blocked from public view. You can see other people's praises?

I HAVE NO PRAISES YET!

Where is that gun store...

Likes 1 person
Evo said:
You can see other people's praises?

Yup. Just view somebody's public profile and click the tab.

(I haven't bothered to look at my own. If I was interested in this sort of garbage I would have joined Facebook).

AlephZero said:
Yup. Just view somebody's public profile and click the tab.

(I haven't bothered to look at my own. If I was interested in this sort of garbage I would have joined Facebook).
Thanks, I'll let Greg know, that's not supposed to happen.

Likes 1 person
Evo said:
It's supposed to be blocked from public view. You can see other people's praises?
Yes, easily, since it's in each member's public profile. For instance, Greg praised one of your posts in this thread as "good tip".

I think there's a small glitch. When you have some notification like a private message, then in the upper right part of the screen you lose the praise number. I've taken a screenshot of the glitch and a screenshot of what is normal.

Attachments

• normal.jpg
    normal.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 340
  • glitch.jpg
    glitch.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 338
fluidistic said:
I think there's a small glitch. When you have some notification like a private message, then in the upper right part of the screen you lose the praise number. I've taken a screenshot of the glitch and a screenshot of what is normal.

Noted, thanks!

Still says praise in the tabs by the way (on the user profile). I find it funny some people are so hostile towards something as mundane as a praise function. Apparently what doesn't harm people is what gets people angry. Oh society...

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
"Thanks" are now private
Thanks Greg, you work so hard.

Likes 1 person
Now all Greg has to do is program the "Thanks" button on his posts to have the user automatically donate to PF. :biggrin:

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Praise has been switched to Thanks

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Praise has been switched to Thanks
In that case, I think you should reset my count back to zero. :-)

I think it should be changed to an acronym: "Tyanad": "Thanks, you are not a dork"

hmmm...

Unless of course, only a fraction of the PF community knows what a "Dork" is.

hmmm...

Never mind...

-------------------------
tonight, way!

Likes 2 people
Minor bug/feature (there are never bugs, only features :smile:);
The submit button says "Submit praise", and the subsequent popup says "Thank you for the praise" (or something like that) - a little ambiguous, perhaps. Maybe intended, maybe not, dunno...

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the "Thanks" button?</h2><p>The "Thanks" button is designed to allow users to express their gratitude or appreciation for a particular post or comment on a platform. It serves as a way to acknowledge and show support for the content shared by others.</p><h2>2. How does the "Thanks" button work?</h2><p>When a user clicks on the "Thanks" button, it sends a notification to the author of the post or comment, letting them know that someone has appreciated their content. It also adds a count of the number of thanks received, which can be seen by other users.</p><h2>3. Can anyone use the "Thanks" button?</h2><p>Yes, the "Thanks" button is available for all users on the platform. It is a simple and easy way for anyone to show their appreciation for a post or comment they find helpful or valuable.</p><h2>4. Is the "Thanks" button anonymous?</h2><p>Yes, the "Thanks" button is typically anonymous. It does not reveal the identity of the user who clicked it, unless they choose to leave a comment or message along with their thanks.</p><h2>5. Can the "Thanks" button be misused?</h2><p>While the "Thanks" button is meant to spread positivity and gratitude, it can potentially be misused by users. For example, some users may click the button repeatedly or use it sarcastically. However, most platforms have measures in place to prevent such misuse and ensure the button is used appropriately.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the "Thanks" button?

The "Thanks" button is designed to allow users to express their gratitude or appreciation for a particular post or comment on a platform. It serves as a way to acknowledge and show support for the content shared by others.

2. How does the "Thanks" button work?

When a user clicks on the "Thanks" button, it sends a notification to the author of the post or comment, letting them know that someone has appreciated their content. It also adds a count of the number of thanks received, which can be seen by other users.

3. Can anyone use the "Thanks" button?

Yes, the "Thanks" button is available for all users on the platform. It is a simple and easy way for anyone to show their appreciation for a post or comment they find helpful or valuable.

4. Is the "Thanks" button anonymous?

Yes, the "Thanks" button is typically anonymous. It does not reveal the identity of the user who clicked it, unless they choose to leave a comment or message along with their thanks.

5. Can the "Thanks" button be misused?

While the "Thanks" button is meant to spread positivity and gratitude, it can potentially be misused by users. For example, some users may click the button repeatedly or use it sarcastically. However, most platforms have measures in place to prevent such misuse and ensure the button is used appropriately.