Thread Format Changed? Suggestion for Better Visibility

• Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
In summary, the way posts are displayed in threads on PF has changed, with posters' names now appearing in a blue title bar. However, some users have suggested that the names should be in a lighter color for easier visibility. The changes are not yet permanent as Greg is still testing things. Some users have reported issues with the display on iPads and some images not rendering correctly. There are also concerns about the size and placement of avatars. The goal of these changes is to prioritize the content, but some users are finding it difficult to identify who is posting due to the current layout. Suggestions have been made to rearrange the elements or revert back to the previous format. Overall, there are mixed reactions to the changes and some users are
I rather like not seeing post counts. If you want to know someone better you can always look at their public profile. This is much cleaner, and centralizes our responses without too much "personality" credit, being read for what the post really says.

Realizing someone as prolific or long-time-user shouldn't add any pretense to posts, IMO.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about increasing the posts per page?

Simon Bridge said:
I'm guessing that something indicating how many posts someone has made will reappear?
Mostly I use it as a check for newbies ... if the posts=1, then they get a "welcome to PF" at the start and a low post count gets more diplomacy since they may not know how things work here so much.
If you left-click on the membername, the post count appears at the top of the drop-down list.

(At least for now. :smile:)

I'm sorry about having to argue a point here in this thread, but I just feel too strongly on the subject.

phion said:
I rather like not seeing post counts. If you want to know someone better you can always look at their public profile. This is much cleaner, and centralizes our responses without too much "personality" credit, being read for what the post really says.

Realizing someone as prolific or long-time-user shouldn't add any pretense to posts, IMO.
Whether a post count should or should not inherit any preconceived notions should be a choice that the readers can make for themselves. Not every member on this forum is on equal footing, and rightly so. We distinguish the paid members from the free members, the homework helpers, the science advisors, the mentors etc. Why? Because they've earned their status and should be treated appropriately. But what do post counts show? High post counts usually represent the veterans, the dedicated and possibly even the no-lifers. Why should these qualities be ignored?

Now, this doesn't mean that a low post count automatically disqualifies the poster from having his or her voice heard. A quality post can be written by a low post counter just as easily as a thorough and accurate scientific explanation can be given by a non-science advisor, and quite interchangeably, there do exist some pretty sloppy - and even just plain wrong - homework help posts (by myself included) while many untitled posters have put their best foot forward in helping out (and of course, this is how many end up earning the title themselves).

I just feel as though removing the post counter from plain view is like removing a detail about a poster's life on this forum.

Mentallic said:
I just feel as though removing the post counter from plain view is like removing a detail about a poster's life on this forum.

It is temporary

OmCheeto said:
I always saw two eyes and an evil smile. Now it's just dots...

Oh dear. That's his daughter!

pf.2013.08.03.0826.dlgoffs.kung.fu.daughter.jpg

And here, all along, I thought I was looking at a distorted version of the id monster, from Forbidden Planet.

pf.2013.08.03.0820.id.monster.from.forbidden.planet.jpg

:redface:

ps. Things appear to be nearing completion.
multiquote: check!
postcount: check!
online users display not funky: check!

:smile:

i move to motion for chat on saturdays also.

I'm still messing with the postbit area, but I need to leave for a wedding. I should have it complete sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the patience!

Greg Bernhardt said:
It is temporary

Ok, thank you.

And may I add that it was a good choice to go with the gold name.

My supporter membership "SM" looks really tiny ! I think this is the case with everyone. However I am quite ill at ease for having endured changing looks of PF.. :(

Well keep doing experiments Greg ! :)

In my "friends list" , names are not visible except those who are mentors/admins.

sankalpmittal said:
My supporter membership "SM" looks really tiny ! I think this is the case with everyone. However I am quite ill at ease for having endured changing looks of PF.. :(

Well keep doing experiments Greg ! :)

In my "friends list" , names are not visible except those who are mentors/admins.

And for those that have no avatar, the badge and the number of posts are wayyyyy too close!

Bah. It's worse than it was ://

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm still messing with the postbit area, but I need to leave for a wedding. I should have it complete sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the patience!

Is that today? :eek:

hmmmm... Come to think of it, I didn't open my last wedding invitation until after the wedding was over.

Does anyone know where Wisconsin is?

The avatar with the posts below is fine. However, the awards look a bit odd. I wonder if the awards could appear below the white box, each a separate square with a black border, that might look okay. Or not.

x2791258 said:
Bah. It's worse than it was ://
You've literally been complaining non-stop since the changes started. Why not just let him finish? You do realize it's just one guy working on the changes right?

Likes 1 person
On some posts, the "HH" or "SM" designaton is right next to the letter P, with no room in between.

By the way, I preferred how "Homework Helper" and other badges were displayed prominently before. (I'm talking about before the change that happened a while back when PhysicsForums got a whole new look.) That made it easy, when skimming a long thread, to pick out at a glance posts written by Science Advisors and Mentors.

I really like it better now that the avatars are on the left side instead of on the blue bar ! It's much more clear who wrote the post that way (at least for usual suspect you recognize with their avatars).

Greg Bernhardt said:
At a wedding all day. I know it's still broken. :)

Enjoy the wedding! You deserve time off!

The member postbit is pretty much final now. Still a few more small tweaks involving username color to finish.

I just wanted to see how I look in my new livery.

[edit]Cool. Cheap at twice the price.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
The member postbit is pretty much final now. Still a few more small tweaks involving username color to finish.
Awesome. Looks great.

I like how the badges are displayed now.

Looks OK to me Greg. My only observation at this point would be that newbies might not notice that they need to hover the mouse over the multi-quote button to see what it does. It isn't as self-explanatory as the Quote button is.

I'm no sure about the badges as displayed now ... perhaps they could be presented more as glowing rings about the top of the avatar instead?

I liked having pips along the top but thought they would look better if they were flatter (shorter than wide) ... the full meaning could be displayed in mouseover text. (Probably would only need colors then - they'd be like medal ribbons.)

I wish we could set to way-back machine to 6 months or so. I liked the older format. Change is normal, but I don't always like it.

Looks very good right now!

There are these little squares with thick letters in them - I have to guess what's they mean, maybe N new, H hot? But I can't see them listed.

epenguin said:
There are these little squares with thick letters in them - I have to guess what's they mean, maybe N new, H hot? But I can't see them listed.

Mouse over them. Your instincts are correct :)

How about a mouse over on Admin => "The Man" :approve:

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Mouse over them. Your instincts are correct :)

OK now I see that on computer, but not on IPad which I was accessing with yesterday, and still don't. But that's like some other things on iPad.

Last edited:
A little tweek needed?

attachment.php?attachmentid=60730&stc=1&d=1375805274.jpg

Attachments

• membervisit.jpg
    membervisit.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 406
dlgoff said:
A little tweek needed?
That's what I see:

attachment.php?attachmentid=60732&stc=1&d=1375814821.jpg

Edit: I have the same "invisible" usernames (as dlgoff) at deleted visitor messages in my profile.

Attachments

• vismes.jpg
    vismes.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 431
Re the badges, the new format makes one thing clear:

The way you get to the top of the badge "ladder" (and a gold badge!) is by "paying the man", not by contributing anything to the site content :devil:

The outline is a temporary fix. I hate it, but there is a frustrating way that the software handles username colors and it's causing me some headaches.

AlephZero said:
Re the badges, the new format makes one thing clear:

The way you get to the top of the badge "ladder" (and a gold badge!) is by "paying the man", not by contributing anything to the site content :devil:

Interesting observation, it's not intentional. I can reorganize them if it bothers some people.

Likes 1 person
<h2>1. What is the purpose of the "Thread Format Changed? Suggestion for Better Visibility" feature?</h2><p>The purpose of this feature is to improve the visibility and organization of threads in online forums or discussion platforms. It allows users to easily identify when a thread has been updated or changed, making it easier to follow and participate in discussions.</p><h2>2. How does the "Thread Format Changed? Suggestion for Better Visibility" feature work?</h2><p>This feature typically involves changing the appearance of a thread, such as highlighting new or updated posts, or using different colors or icons to indicate changes. Some platforms may also allow users to customize their own thread format preferences.</p><h2>3. Can users opt out of this feature?</h2><p>It depends on the platform. Some platforms may allow users to disable or customize the "Thread Format Changed" feature, while others may have it permanently enabled. It is best to check the platform's settings or contact the administrator for more information.</p><h2>4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using this feature?</h2><p>Some users may find the changes in thread format distracting or confusing, especially if they are used to a certain format. Additionally, if the feature is not implemented properly, it may cause technical issues or glitches in the platform.</p><h2>5. How can this feature benefit users and improve their experience?</h2><p>The "Thread Format Changed" feature can help users stay updated on discussions and easily find new or updated posts. It can also make it easier to navigate and participate in discussions, leading to a more efficient and enjoyable experience on the platform.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the "Thread Format Changed? Suggestion for Better Visibility" feature?

The purpose of this feature is to improve the visibility and organization of threads in online forums or discussion platforms. It allows users to easily identify when a thread has been updated or changed, making it easier to follow and participate in discussions.

2. How does the "Thread Format Changed? Suggestion for Better Visibility" feature work?

This feature typically involves changing the appearance of a thread, such as highlighting new or updated posts, or using different colors or icons to indicate changes. Some platforms may also allow users to customize their own thread format preferences.

3. Can users opt out of this feature?

It depends on the platform. Some platforms may allow users to disable or customize the "Thread Format Changed" feature, while others may have it permanently enabled. It is best to check the platform's settings or contact the administrator for more information.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using this feature?

Some users may find the changes in thread format distracting or confusing, especially if they are used to a certain format. Additionally, if the feature is not implemented properly, it may cause technical issues or glitches in the platform.

5. How can this feature benefit users and improve their experience?

The "Thread Format Changed" feature can help users stay updated on discussions and easily find new or updated posts. It can also make it easier to navigate and participate in discussions, leading to a more efficient and enjoyable experience on the platform.