What's Coming in Physics Forums 4.0?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, some exciting changes are on the horizon for Physics Forums! This notice is intended to give you a heads up on what to expect in the coming weeks. Plans have now been laid for the coming of Physics Forums 4.0, which will be the biggest improvement to Physics Forums in 12 years. The migration to Xenforo will be done on September 19th, and there will be lots of broken functionality in the beginning. Please be patient and let us know if you have any questions.
dlgoff said:
Every time I visit PF, it keeps getting better. Greg ... You ARE The Man.
Physics Forums 4.0 just keeps on giving and getting better. Thanks Greg.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a suggestion: I understand we're free to <like> valuable posts (great way to acknowledge respectable/smart/helpful members), but can we somehow <like> a thread as a whole? I mean a setup like in the vbulletin's old <thread tools> where members (not necessarily posting in it) can <like> the entire discussion (and confirm its meaning and value for them) and a counter always visible (Thread likes: 7) with a link to see the persons who clicked the like button.

Surely we've got the <feature> option, but it's too official and Greg may use it for the site's advertising, therefore you can't feature 1000 threads over 34 subforums at the same time.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dextercioby said:
where members (not necessarily posting in it) can <like> the entire discussion (and confirm its meaning and value for them) and a counter always visible
Good suggestion. This capability is not possible at the moment though. The best we can do is featured threads. Please use the "recommend a thread for featuring" thread.

Likes dlgoff
Proof that this was a good move.

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/new-member-introductions.240/

PF rocks. :approve:

Is there any way a thread can be put into a (.pdf) printable format? I remember the old vBulletin had the option to print a thread. Is this here with the new software? If so, where, if no, how could I save a thread without simply copy-pasting into an Microsoft Word (for ex.) file?

Thanks,

dextercioby said:
If so, where, if no, how could I save a thread without simply copy-pasting into an Microsoft Word (for ex.) file?
Currently there is no way of exporting a thread. Hopefully in the next software version.

dextercioby said:
Is there any way a thread can be put into a (.pdf) printable format? I remember the old vBulletin had the option to print a thread. Is this here with the new software? If so, where, if no, how could I save a thread without simply copy-pasting into an Microsoft Word (for ex.) file?

Thanks,
I'm currently using MS Explorer 8 as a browser on an underpowered netbook. To save a thread-page, I usually just click on a tab named "Page", on the overhead "Command Bar"and select "Save As". It allows several different types of save, and I usually choose "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)".

Mht files are quite complete (and printable) when viewed off-line, including pictures and live links, with only one file per page. (Choosing "Webpage complete, (*.htm)(*.html)" produces an Explorer file, and a supporting folder, of which to keep track.) Perhaps saving all pages at once to a pdf file would be simpler if possible, but some past forum softwares did allow a "View all on one page" option which means only one long mht file.

Save As "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)" also self-names itself with the thread title. I often add a sub title to the file name that reminds me why I saved it and stick it in a library folder called "PhysicsForums". This page, when saved for instance, self-names itself "Physics Forums 4_0 is coming! Page 8" and takes up 892 KB of disc space (after Greg posts #146). If saved to a thumb-drive, I believe it can be opened with any browser (for sure MS Explorer), off or on line, by any computer and I do believe I have also emailed mht files in the past.

I apologise if you already knew the above.

Wes

Wes Tausend said:
I apologise if you already knew the above.
This works if the thread isn't multiple pages :)