Understanding Electric Flux and Calculating it in Different Directions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving flux and how to calculate it in different directions. Part 1 involves finding the flux with a uniform field, which is simplified to the dot product of two vectors. Part 2 involves finding the flux when the E-field is perpendicular to the area vector, resulting in a flux of 0. The conversation also mentions the importance of the angle between the vectors and provides a hint for solving the problem.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm having troubles figuring out part 2 of this problem, and also can u see if i did part 1 correctly? To me it looks like the flux is going to be equal, if the E-field is in the i direction or in the z direction but somthing tells me how can the angle be the same in both cases? THe directions and my work is in the picture below, thanks.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5505/lastscan1nc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int E \cdot dA = \ flux [/tex], with a uniform field it just becomes E dot A. All you have to do is the dot product of your two vectors for both of them. For aprt b) the angle between the two vectors is not 67.4.

Hint, teh first vector lies completely on the xy plane..

Ahh Thanks!
for part (b) it would be flux of 0 wouldn't it? because the E field is perpendicular to the Area vector which is cos(90) = 0. Right?

What is electric flux and why is it important?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given surface. It is important because it allows us to understand and calculate the flow of electric fields, which is crucial in many applications such as electronics, electromagnetism, and electric circuits.

How do you find the electric flux?

The electric flux can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. This means multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the component of the surface area vector that is perpendicular to the electric field.

What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is volts per meter (V/m) in SI units. In other systems, it can also be measured in newton meters squared per coulomb (N·m²/C) or tesla meters squared (T·m²).

What factors affect the electric flux?

The electric flux is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the orientation and size of the surface through which the field is passing. It is also influenced by the presence of other charges or conductors near the surface.

How is electric flux related to Gauss's law?

Gauss's law states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. This law is a powerful tool for calculating electric fields and understanding the behavior of electric charges in a given system.