Introduction to Fluid Mechanics

In summary, the speaker is interested in teaching themselves fluid mechanics before taking the course next year. They have only gotten through the first chapter and have found it challenging, with a lot of serious mathematics and references to thermodynamics. However, they have received input from others and believe they can grasp the material without having taken thermodynamics first. They are using the book "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Rober w.Fox and Alan T. McDonald and have found it to be great so far.
Cyrus
Hey guys,

I haven't taken thermodynamics yet, I have only taken it in general chemistry, which amounts to pretty much nothing. But I've heard from many friends that Fluid mechanics is a very tough course, so I am trying to teach it to myself before I have to take it next year. I've only gotten through the first chapter, but its no joke! Alot of serious mathematics of differential equations on the very first example. The book is called "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" Rober w.Fox and Alan T. McDonald. Do you guys think I am wasting my time having not taken thermo yet, or can I grasp any of the stuff going on here. On one example they used the first law of themrodynamics, so I had to sift through a thermo book to see the formula used and get a vague idea about it, to finish my way through the problem. Anyways, thanks for your important input.

Cheers,

Cyrus

Engineering news on Phys.org
At my college, I think both fluids and thermo were junior level core courses and neither was a pre-requisite for the other (I also used Fox McDonald). Certainly there's some overlap as you've already seen, but there's no reason that you'd have to wait to take thermo before learning about fluids. Just post on the boards if you come across something unclear. Good luck with the self-study.

man, this material and book is GREAT so far! (im only on chapter 2, but its awsome stuff! :-)

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which are substances that can flow and take on the shape of their container. It involves the study of the properties of fluids such as density, pressure, and viscosity, as well as the forces and motions that affect fluids.

2. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has numerous applications in our daily lives, such as in the design of pumps, turbines, and engines used in transportation and power generation. It also plays a crucial role in the study of weather patterns, ocean currents, and the flow of blood in the human body.

3. What are the basic laws of fluid mechanics?

The basic laws of fluid mechanics include the continuity equation, which states that the amount of fluid entering a system must equal the amount of fluid leaving the system, and the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the relationship between the forces acting on a fluid and its resulting motion.

4. How does fluid mechanics relate to other branches of science?

Fluid mechanics has connections to many other branches of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is also closely related to other fields of study, such as thermodynamics, aerodynamics, and hydrodynamics, which all involve the study of fluids in different contexts.

5. What are some key principles to understand in fluid mechanics?

Some key principles to understand in fluid mechanics include the concept of viscosity, which is a fluid's resistance to flow, and the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. It is also important to understand the difference between laminar and turbulent flow and the effects of external forces on fluid motion.