Newton's 3rd law- dog sleds

• Thread starter mcryder16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the question asks for the tension in rope 2 when a sled dog is pulling two sleds (A and B) with a coefficient of friction of 0.1 between the sleds and the snow. The tension in rope 1 is given as 142 N and the masses of the sleds are given as 112 kg and 60 kg. The solution will require using equations relating to friction and forces.
mcryder16

Homework Statement

The sled dog drags sleds A and B across the snow. The coefficient of friction between the sleds and the snow is 0.1. If the tension in the rope 1 is 142 N, what is the tension in rope 2? (M=112 kg, m=60 kg.)

Homework Equations

Any ideas of how to start this problem?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mcryder16 said:

Homework Statement

The sled dog drags sleds A and B across the snow. The coefficient of friction between the sleds and the snow is 0.1. If the tension in the rope 1 is 142 N, what is the tension in rope 2? (M=112 kg, m=60 kg.)

Homework Equations

Any ideas of how to start this problem?

The Attempt at a Solution

Sure. I have ideas. But what is it you are stuck on. It's your homework.

I would approach this problem by first understanding Newton's 3rd law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the action is the force applied by the sled dog pulling the rope, and the reaction is the force applied by the sleds on the dog.

To start solving this problem, I would draw a free body diagram of the system, showing all the forces acting on the sleds and the dog. This would include the tension in rope 1, the tension in rope 2, the weight of the sleds (mg), and the normal force (N) acting on the sleds due to the snow.

Next, I would use Newton's second law (F=ma) to analyze the forces in the horizontal direction. Since the sleds are moving at a constant velocity, the net force in the horizontal direction must be zero. This means that the tension in rope 1 must be equal to the sum of the tension in rope 2 and the force of friction acting on the sleds.

Using the given coefficient of friction and the weight of the sleds, I can calculate the force of friction using the equation Ff=μN. Then, using the fact that the net force in the horizontal direction is zero, I can set up the equation 142 N = T2 + Ff and solve for T2, which would give me the tension in rope 2.

In summary, to solve this problem, I would use Newton's 3rd law, draw a free body diagram, and apply Newton's 2nd law to analyze the forces in the horizontal direction.

1. What is Newton's 3rd law?

Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction on the first object.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law apply to dog sleds?

In the context of dog sleds, Newton's 3rd law can be observed when the dogs pull on the sled. The dogs are exerting a force on the sled, and in return, the sled exerts an equal force in the opposite direction, pulling the dogs forward.

3. Can you provide an example of Newton's 3rd law in action on a dog sled?

One example is when the dogs are pulling the sled up a hill. As they pull the sled forward, the sled exerts an equal and opposite force on the dogs, helping them to move up the hill. This is because the ground exerts a reaction force on the sled, which is then transferred to the dogs.

4. Does Newton's 3rd law only apply to the dogs and the sled, or does it involve other factors as well?

Newton's 3rd law involves all objects that are interacting with each other. In the case of a dog sled, the dogs, the sled, and the ground are all involved in the interaction and are subject to equal and opposite forces according to Newton's 3rd law.

5. How does understanding Newton's 3rd law help in improving dog sled designs?

Understanding Newton's 3rd law can help in designing more efficient and effective dog sleds. By considering the equal and opposite forces involved, designers can create sleds that are easier to maneuver and require less effort from the dogs to pull. This can lead to better performance and less strain on the dogs' bodies.