Do I integrate it using Trigonometry substitution?

In summary, In this conversation, the expert summarizer tries to evaluate the integral \int\frac{1}{1-2sin\left(x\right)}dx and finds that it can be rewritten as: 2\int\frac{1}{\left(u-2\right)^{2}-\sqrt{3}^{2}}du and that it can be solved using partial fraction.
caseyjay
Dear all,

I would like to evaluate [tex]\int\frac{1}{1-2sin\left(x\right)}dx[/tex]

Firstly, I make use of the Weierstrass substitution method by letting:

[tex]u=tan\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)[/tex]

and therefore

[tex]sin\left(x\right)=\frac{2u}{1+u^{2}}[/tex]

and

[tex]dx=\frac{2}{1+u^{2}}du[/tex]

Eventually I can rewrite my integral as:

[tex]2\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-4u+1}du[/tex]

Since the denominator of the integrand cannot be factorised, I try using trigonometry substitution by first rewriting the integral as

[tex]2\int\frac{1}{\left(u-2\right)^{2}-\sqrt{3}^{2}}du[/tex]

And then by letting

[tex]u=2+\sqrt{3}sec\left(\theta\right)[/tex]
[tex]du=\sqrt{3}sec\left(\theta\right)tan\left(\theta\right)d\theta[/tex]

After that I substitute [tex]u[/tex] and [tex]du[/tex] into the equation and I obtain

[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\int\frac{sec\left(\theta\right)}{tan\left(\theta\right)}d\theta=\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\int csc\left(\theta\right)d\theta[/tex]

And that will give me:

[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}ln\left|csc(\theta)+cot(\theta)\right|+C[/tex]

But now if I replace [tex]\theta[/tex] with [tex]sec^{-1}\frac{u-2}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex] I am unable to obtain the answer which is given as:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}ln\left|\frac{tan\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-2-\sqrt{3}}{tan\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-2+\sqrt{3}}\right|+C[/tex]

From the answer given, it seems to me that I should use partial fraction instead of trigonometry substitution. However I am pretty sure if I use trigonometry substitution, I should get the answer.

May I know what am I doing wrong here?

Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi caseyjay! :smile:
caseyjay said:
May I know what am I doing wrong here?

Nothing …

(cosecθ + cotθ)2 = (secθ + 1)2/tan2θ = (secθ + 1)/(secθ - 1) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi caseyjay! :smile:

Nothing …

(cosecθ + cotθ)2 = (secθ + 1)2/tan2θ = (secθ + 1)/(secθ - 1) :wink:

Hi Tiny-Tim,

May I know why do you square cosecθ + cotθ? Did I miss out any "squares" in my working? I do not know from where and why did you square cosecθ + cotθ.

The two outside of the ln can become a power by log rules.

yeah …

as l'Hôpital :smile: says, 2lnx = lnx2 :wink:

1. How do I know when to use Trigonometry substitution for integration?

Trigonometry substitution is typically used when the integrand (the function being integrated) contains expressions of the form sqrt(a^2-x^2), sqrt(x^2-a^2), or sqrt(x^2+a^2). These expressions can be replaced with trigonometric functions using the Pythagorean identity, making the integration process easier.

2. What are the steps for using Trigonometry substitution?

The first step is to identify the appropriate trigonometric substitution based on the form of the integrand. Then, make the appropriate substitution and simplify the expression. Finally, integrate the resulting expression using standard integration techniques.

3. Can Trigonometry substitution be used for all types of integrals?

No, Trigonometry substitution is only useful for certain types of integrals, specifically those involving expressions with sqrt(a^2-x^2), sqrt(x^2-a^2), or sqrt(x^2+a^2). In other cases, other integration techniques may be more suitable.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using Trigonometry substitution?

One common mistake is forgetting to make the appropriate substitution after identifying the trigonometric form. Another mistake is not simplifying the expression before integrating, which can lead to incorrect results.

5. Can Trigonometry substitution be used for definite integrals?

Yes, Trigonometry substitution can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. When using it for definite integrals, be sure to adjust the limits of integration accordingly after making the substitution.