Calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on the object.

In summary, the problem is finding the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on an object being pulled in different directions, and the magnitude of its acceleration. The answer for part A is a magnitude of 2 and a direction to the left. The mass of the object is 0.5KG and part B can be solved using F=ma.
Cheesus128
Hey,
I have the following question.
How do I work this out:

There is an object 9N<-----------[OBJECT]--->3N--->4N...[The ---> represent the direction in which the object is being pulled, and the 3N and 4N pull into the same direction.
Now its asking me:
1. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on the object.
2. Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the object.

Could someone please help me find the answer?
And if anyone knows the answer could they please explain how they got it?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
state the problem in exact language.

What do you mean?
Thats exactly what it says on my paper..

For part A, just call <----- negative and ------> positive. -9 N + 7 N = -2 N.

I don't think part B is solvable without knowing the mass of the object.

It says it has a mass of 0.5KG.
So for part A the answer for magnitude would be -2 and the direction would be "left"?

Almost. The magnitude is 2 and the direction is left. If the magnitude were -2 and the direction was to the left left, the motion would actually be to the right. That may be a bit confusing- does it make sense to you?

Now that you know the mass, you can use F=ma to find the magnitude of the acceleration.

CloCon said:
Almost. The magnitude is 2 and the direction is left. If the magnitude were -2 and the direction was to the left left, the motion would actually be to the right. That may be a bit confusing- does it make sense to you?

Now that you know the mass, you can use F=ma to find the magnitude of the acceleration.

Hey yeah good sense.
Two negatives make a positive kinda thing.
ok So F=ma perfect thanks!

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the single force that has the same effect as a combination of multiple forces acting on an object. It is the vector sum of all the individual forces.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of the resultant force?

To calculate the magnitude of the resultant force, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual force magnitudes. Alternatively, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the magnitude.

3. How do you calculate the direction of the resultant force?

To calculate the direction of the resultant force, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can help you determine the angle between the resultant force and a known reference direction.

4. Can the resultant force be zero?

Yes, the resultant force can be zero if all the individual forces acting on the object cancel each other out. This means that the object is in a state of equilibrium and will not experience any acceleration.

5. How does the direction of the resultant force affect the motion of the object?

The direction of the resultant force determines the direction of the object's motion. If the resultant force is in the same direction as the object's current motion, it will increase the speed of the object. If the resultant force is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed or even cause the object to come to a stop. If the resultant force is perpendicular to the object's motion, it will change the direction of the object's motion.