How to Compute Dot Products in Integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral on page 14 of a website and how to get from equation 48 to 49. The person attempting to solve it is unsure of how to compute the dot products and questions whether the vectors are coplanar. They also suspect a typo in the equations. However, they are unsure of how to proceed with the integral.
nos
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand the integral on http://www.phys.lsu.edu/~jarrell/COURSES/ELECTRODYNAMICS/Chap14/chap14.pdf (page 14)

I get all the steps except the how to get from eq. 48 to eq 49. I'm not really sure how to compute all the dot products. He let's the angle between n and β be θ
and angle between β and [itex]\dot{β}[/itex] be θ(0)

Attempt at solution:

[itex]n\cdotβ=βcos(θ)[/itex]
[itex]β\cdot\dot{β}=β\dot{β}cos(θ(0))[/itex]
[itex]n\cdot\dot{β}=\dot{β}cos(θ-θ(0))[/itex]?

If this is correct, do I proceed by applying the difference identity of cosine in the last dot product and then square the whole thing? There are going to be a lot of terms, so before wasting more time on expanding, let's first see if what I'm doing is in fact the right way to do this integral.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
nos said:
[itex]n\cdotβ=βcos(θ)[/itex]
[itex]β\cdot\dot{β}=β\dot{β}cos(θ(0))[/itex]
[itex]n\cdot\dot{β}=\dot{β}cos(θ-θ(0))[/itex]?
You could only do something like that if you know the three vectors are coplanar. Are they?

Yes that is what's been troubling me. I am not sure. But how else do you go from eq 48 to eq 49?

Sorry, I can't follow it either. I strongly suspect a typo, like a β that should be a β-dot or vv., but I haven't been able to find a simple explanation.

Oh well, thanks very much anyway for replying:)

1. What is the definition of an integral with dot products?

An integral with dot products is a mathematical operation that combines the concepts of integration and dot product. It involves taking the dot product of two vector functions and then integrating the result over a certain interval.

2. How is an integral with dot products calculated?

To calculate an integral with dot products, you first take the dot product of the two vector functions. Then, you integrate the resulting scalar function over the specified interval using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the purpose of using an integral with dot products?

The purpose of using an integral with dot products is to calculate the area under a curve or the volume under a surface in a multi-dimensional space. It is particularly useful in physics and engineering applications, where dot products are used to calculate work, energy, and other important quantities.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrals with dot products?

Integrals with dot products have various real-world applications, such as calculating the work done by a force in physics, determining the magnetic flux through a surface in electromagnetism, and finding the center of mass of a solid object in engineering.

5. Are there any limitations or special considerations when using integrals with dot products?

One limitation of using integrals with dot products is that the vector functions being integrated must be continuous over the specified interval. Additionally, special considerations must be made when using integrals with dot products in non-Cartesian coordinate systems, as the dot product formula may differ.