The Axiom of Choice: Cardinal Importance in Set Theory

In summary: There is also Tikunov's theorem, Lowenheim-Skolem, which allows you to construct models of the reals of any infinite cardinality (have you heard ofthe non-standard reals?). For more, see, e.g:...In summary, AC is an important axiom in set theory that allows mathematicians to deduce various equivalent statements. It has a large number of equivalent statements, some of which are very important.
Bachelier
When I read the AC, "that the ∏ of a coll. of non-∅ sets is itself non-∅" I understand its meaning, yet I come short from understanding its cardinal importance in Axiomatic set theory.

I have no exposure "yet" in ZFC but I was hoping if someone could clarify to me why is it that AC is such an important axiom especially that Zermelo used it to formulate the well-ordering theorem. Being also that Set Theory is regarded as the foundation of Mathematics. (Disregarding Godel's work of course)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
AC has a large number of equivalent statements. You touched on well-ordering but there is also
"every surjective function has a right inverse",
"every non-trivial unital ring has a maximal ideal",
"every vector space has a basis", and
"two set either have the same cardinality or one is greater than the other."

pwsnafu said:
AC has a large number of equivalent statements. You touched on well-ordering but there is also

And then there are a myriad of statements which require AC but are not equivalent to it. Some of those statement look pretty innocent. For example:
- A function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous at a fixed point x (from the [itex]\varepsilon-\delta[/itex] condition) if and only if for each sequence [itex]x_n\rightarrow x[/itex] holds that [itex]f(x_n)\rightarrow f(x)[/itex]. (fun fact: if we change the "at fixed x" by "at every point x", then we don't require AC anymore!)
- For every set X holds that X is either finite or there exists an injection [itex]\mathbb{N}\rightarrow X[/itex]
- [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] is Lindelof: every open cover of [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] has a countable subcover
- [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is not a countable union of countable sets
- Any two bases in a vector space must have the same cardinality
- The Hahn-Banach theorem
- The Ascoli-Arzela theorem
- The existence of the Cech-Stone compactification
- Lebesgue measure is [itex]\sigma[/itex]-additive
- Every unbounded subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] contains an unbounded sequence

micromass said:
- For every set X holds that X is either finite or there exists an injection [itex]\mathbb{N}\rightarrow X[/itex]
- [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] is Lindelof: every open cover of [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] has a countable subcover
- Every unbounded subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] contains an unbounded sequence

These will keep me busy reading for awhile.

pwsnafu said:

So where does AC play a role here? How did Mathematicians deduce these corollaries from it?
For instance with respect to the right inverse? Where is its role?

Thanks

micromass said:
And then there are a myriad of statements which require AC but are not equivalent to it. Some of those statement look pretty innocent. For example:
- A function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous at a fixed point x (from the [itex]\varepsilon-\delta[/itex] condition) if and only if for each sequence [itex]x_n\rightarrow x[/itex] holds that [itex]f(x_n)\rightarrow f(x)[/itex]. (fun fact: if we change the "at fixed x" by "at every point x", then we don't require AC anymore!)

Just finished reading your great blog entries w.r.t. the subject. Very clear and informative read indeed. Thank you.

Check too, the construction of a nonmeasurable set using AC. Still, I believe non-measurable subsets can be constructed in theories that do not use AC.

There is also Tikunov's theorem, Lowenheim-Skolem, which allows you to construct models of the reals of any infinite cardinality (have you heard of

the non-standard reals?). For more, see, e.g: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/axiom-choice/#MatAppAxiCho

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
Check too, the construction of a nonmeasurable set using AC. Still, I believe non-measurable subsets can be constructed in theories that do not use AC.

But it is consistent with ZF that all sets are measurable. People have actually constructed models of set theory in which all sets are measurable. So you need some additional axiom which allows for nonmeasurable sets. I agree that the full AC is not necessary, but we do need some other form.

Actually, AFAIK, using forcing, you can come up with models that satisfy ZF+ ~AC, and these models contain nonmeasurable subsets. But I have not seen this in a while, and it would take me a while to produce more arguments.

1. What is the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a fundamental principle in set theory that states that given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set in the collection. In other words, it allows for the creation of a set from an infinite number of non-empty sets.

2. Why is the Axiom of Choice important?

The Axiom of Choice has many implications in mathematics, particularly in set theory and analysis. It allows for the proof of many theorems and results that would not be possible without it. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and functional analysis.

3. What are some consequences of the Axiom of Choice?

One of the most famous consequences of the Axiom of Choice is the Banach-Tarski paradox, which states that a solid ball can be divided into a finite number of pieces and reassembled into two identical copies of the original ball. Other consequences include the existence of non-measurable sets and the well-ordering principle.

4. Are there any controversies surrounding the Axiom of Choice?

Yes, there are some mathematicians who reject the Axiom of Choice, as it can lead to counterintuitive results and is not provable from the other axioms of set theory. This has led to the development of alternative set theories, such as constructive set theory, which do not include the Axiom of Choice.

5. How is the Axiom of Choice related to other mathematical concepts?

The Axiom of Choice is closely related to other important mathematical concepts, such as the well-ordering principle, Zorn's Lemma, and the Hausdorff Maximal Principle. It is also closely tied to the concept of infinity and has implications in the study of infinite sets and their properties.