Find the Best Glue for Aluminium Foil - Buy in Bulk!

• Thread starter Notinuse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminium
In summary, I need a glue that will stick to aluminium, but not react. Mercury-in-glass thermometers are banned because AlOH is very inert, and the surface film has broken and can't re-form properly.
Notinuse
I need a recommendations on a glue to stick aluminium foil.

Due to the size I need a product that can be brought in larger quantities rather than in small tubes; like a tub of wood glue or wallpaper paste.

I'm asking because aluminium is reactive and I need something that will stick, but not react.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Reactive with what? You know, they wrap food with aluminum foil.

Aluminum is very reactive, if you disrupt the AlOH film that forms on the surface (of the order of only one molecule thick) when it is in contact with air.

That's why mercury-in-glass thermometers are banned from aluminum-framed aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUPjHHml1E

On the other hand, AlOH is very inert, which is why Al is hard to solder, for example - but if the surface film has broken and can't re-form properly, it is virtually impossible to stop the reaction.

I was once stirring molten Al with a Stainless steel rod...The stainless "melted" into the Al. Al is very reactive, of course molten Al is more so then solid due to the thermal energy present.

AlephZero said:
Aluminum is very reactive, if you disrupt the AlOH film that forms on the surface (of the order of only one molecule thick) when it is in contact with air.

That's why mercury-in-glass thermometers are banned from aluminum-framed aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUPjHHml1E

On the other hand, AlOH is very inert, which is why Al is hard to solder, for example - but if the surface film has broken and can't re-form properly, it is virtually impossible to stop the reaction.

Isn't this as much of a demonstration of the re activity of Hg as well as Al? I once was playing with some Hg, great fun!, and watch regular tin/lead solder simply vanish into the Hg.

Since the foil is pretty air tight 'drying adhesives' probably aren't going to work.

What is the best type of glue for attaching aluminium foil?

The best type of glue for attaching aluminium foil is a strong, industrial adhesive such as cyanoacrylate (super glue), epoxy, or polyurethane glue. These types of glue have a high bonding strength and can withstand the weight and movement of the foil.

Can any type of glue be used for attaching aluminium foil?

No, not all types of glue are suitable for attaching aluminium foil. Avoid using water-based glues as they may not bond well with the metal surface. Also, avoid using hot glue as it can melt the foil and weaken the bond.

Is it better to buy glue for aluminium foil in bulk?

Yes, it is better to buy glue for aluminium foil in bulk if you plan on using it frequently. Buying in bulk can save you money in the long run and ensure that you always have enough glue on hand for your projects.

Are there any specific application tips for using glue on aluminium foil?

Yes, when using glue on aluminium foil, it is important to clean the surface of the foil thoroughly to remove any dirt, oils, or residue. It is also recommended to roughen the surface of the foil with sandpaper to create a stronger bond. Apply the glue evenly and press the foil firmly onto the surface to ensure a strong bond.

Can glue be used to attach aluminium foil to surfaces other than metal?

Yes, glue can be used to attach aluminium foil to surfaces other than metal, such as paper, cardboard, or wood. However, it is important to choose a glue that is suitable for both the foil and the surface it will be attached to. Test the glue on a small area first to ensure it bonds well before applying it to the entire surface.