Register to reply

Factorization of integers

by matqkks
Tags: factorization, integers
Share this thread:
matqkks
May23-14, 08:30 AM
P: 153
Why is factorization of integers important on a first number theory course? Where is factorization used in real life? Are there examples which have a real impact? I am looking for examples which will motivate students.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
SteamKing
May23-14, 08:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,471
I'll take a stab.
Factorization helps determine if a given integer is prime, and one use for prime integers is in devising cryptography keys, which are used quite a bit for, among other things, encrypting sensitive data which might be swapped around on the internet. (NSA, how'm I doin' so far?)

If you have an arbitrary integer of n-digits, how long does it take to determine the factors (if any) of this integer? That's a pretty basic question for number theory to answer. Is it a couple of hours, a couple of days, a couple of years, a couple of centuries, or what? Can a better (= quicker) algorithm be devised?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorization
Stephen Tashi
May25-14, 09:58 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,283
Suppose we can motivate an interest in Diophantine equations. Their solution entails finding greatest common divisors. Would that also lead in a natural way to focusing on prime numbers?

PeroK
May25-14, 10:16 AM
P: 378
Factorization of integers

Quote Quote by matqkks View Post
Why is factorization of integers important on a first number theory course? Where is factorization used in real life? Are there examples which have a real impact? I am looking for examples which will motivate students.
Much of Internet security uses Public Key Cryptography, which depends on large integer factorisation. See, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
bhillyard
May25-14, 12:12 PM
P: 35
If you want to solve a quadratic equation by factorisation the you need to be able to factorises integers.
That is to solve

ax2 + bx + c = 0

you need to factorises a and c.

Register to reply