How to use this sites search function

• Thread starter Nothing000
  • Start date
In summary: So if you are looking for something specific and it hasn't come up in a while, you might have to refresh the page.It's possible that the post with the same keyword was just recently posted and the Google search might not have had enough time to cache it. Alternatively, it's possible that the Google search didn't find any matches because the keyword wasn't in the title.It's possible that the post with the same keyword was just recently posted and the Google search might not have had enough time to cache it. Alternatively, it's possible that the Google search didn't find any matches because the keyword wasn't in the title.
Nothing000
I don't understand the Physics Forums search function. When I go to Advanced Seach and Enter something to be searched by Keyword, it gives you the option to either Search Titles Only or Search Entire Post. So when I select search titles only it brings up MANY posts that don't have ANY of the keywords in the title of the post. The keywords are just in the post itself.

And when I put a keyword phrase in quotations it brings up many posts that don't have the keyord together like I typed them, it just brings up posts that have any of the keywords I put in as oppose to the exact phrase. What is the deal?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may include the titles of the posts themselves.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean when I select the option "Search Titles Only" then this allows it to search in the Titles AND in the Posts themeselves. That does not make sense to me. Why does it say "search titles ONLY"?

This is a title

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I mean.

Then how do you search the ACTUAL titles of the threads? Like this thread is titled "How to use this sites search function". How do I search for that?
And why do the quotation marks not allow me to search for exact phrases. This does not even work when I search through the entire post.

From what I have experienced the search feature is rather tempermental. There have been times when I have typed in keywords that I knew existed in here somewhere and no results were found and then there have been times that I have4 searched and a whole slew of matches comes up that have nothing to do with what I was looking for.

I have experienced that too. When I know I have seen a thread about something and I search for it, NOTHING COMES UP. And this only happens sometimes with me too. What is the deal?

As an example of the one of the problems I am having with it is that I am trying to search for threads about discrete math in the acedemic advisement section. So I put "Discrete Math" in as the keywords, I select search title only, and hit search. It brings up many threads that have the word math anywhere in them. Why the hell does the quotation marks not make it only search for the phrase discrete math?

Nothing000 said:
As an example of the one of the problems I am having with it is that I am trying to search for threads about discrete math in the acedemic advisement section. So I put "Discrete Math" in as the keywords, I select search title only, and hit search. It brings up many threads that have the word math anywhere in them. Why the hell does the quotation marks not make it only search for the phrase discrete math?
You're used to a sophisticated search engine like google, remember, this software doesn't have that functionality. Your best bet might be to actually use google for your searches here.

Evo said:
You're used to a sophisticated search engine like google, remember, this software doesn't have that functionality. Your best bet might be to actually use google for your searches here.
That's an idea. You think that Greg might be able to set it up so that Google is what you are using when searching PF?

Who is greg?

Nothing000 said:
Who is greg?
Greg owns this website.

Temperamental is a good word choice. I just tried searching for something, and another thread with the same keyword was right on the first page where I was searching, and even that thread didn't come up (it told me no matches were found). Even if I didn't match the keyword just right to the older thread, the newer one with the exact term and same spelling/abbreviation of it should have shown up.

For old posts Google will work by searching "site:physicsforums.com 'keyword'" but it won't cache the new posts for a while.

What is the purpose of the search function on this site?

The search function on this site allows users to quickly and easily find specific content or information within the site.

Where can I find the search bar on this site?

The search bar is typically located at the top or in the header of the site, but it may vary depending on the site's design.

How do I use the search function on this site?

To use the search function, simply type in a keyword or phrase related to the content you are looking for and press enter or click on the search button. The results will then be displayed on the page.

Can I refine my search on this site?

Yes, many sites offer advanced search options that allow you to filter your results by date, category, or other specific criteria. Look for options such as "advanced search" or "filter" to refine your search.

Why am I not getting any results from my search?

There could be a few reasons for this. Make sure you have spelled your search query correctly and try using different keywords. If you are still not getting any results, the content you are looking for may not be available on the site or it may be located in a different section.