Quantum Mechanics Book for First Year Physics Students

In summary, a book for someone with first year physics knowledge that is written well and covers quantum mechanics would be "An introduction to quantum physics" by French and Taylor. Other good books at this level include "Modern Physics" by R A Serway, C J Moses and C A Moyer, and "Quantum Mechanics" by Michael Morrison.
pivoxa15
Does anyone know an especially good book/textbook on quantum mechanics that is written for an audience with first year physics knowledge?

I will be donig 2nd year QM next year so a book that describes QM well but obviously not a thorough treatment.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I like French and Taylor's Intro to Quantum Physics text.

Check out Eisberg and Resnick. I have heard good things about it, but it might be a bit too much for you.

- harsh

Try one of the early editions of Schiff's book. The QM intro course for chemists written by Linus Pauling in 1935 is also useful.

U should know some high level mathematics, though...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Try one of the early editions of Schiff's book. The QM intro course for chemists written by Linus Pauling in 1935 is also useful.
U should know some high level mathematics, though...
Daniel.

Fantastic books but i doubt someone with just first year physics knowledge could grasp these books. I would have to vote for "An introduction to quantum physics" by French and Taylor as well, a good intro to the world of quantum mechanics. I used this book first.

pivoxa15 said:
I will be donig 2nd year QM next year

Where are you studying, and what book will you be using in that course?

At most colleges and universities in the USA, second-year physics majors don't take a full course in QM, as far as I know. Instead, they take an "introduction to modern physics" course that includes some QM. There are several textbooks at this level, e.g. Beiser or Krane or Taylor/Zafiriatos/Dubson. I think most standalone QM textbooks are ained at the third/fourth year level, and are easier to follow if the student has been through an "intro modern" course already.

French and Taylor is a good text. McGervey is also good. Stay away from Griffiths. Schaums outline is really cheap and has a load of problems and solutions.

The Schaum's outline is almost certainly too advanced for anyone who has only had 1 year of physics.

I would recommend Krane's Modern Physics if you have not yet taken differential equations and linear algebra. If you do have that much math then I would recommend either Eisberg and Resnick's Quantum Physics or Brehm and Mullin's Introduction to the Structure of Matter. Both books are good, but I recommend Eisberg and Resnick more highly because it includes perturbation theory, while Brehm and Mullin does not.

Dr Transport said:
Stay away from Griffiths.

Why? It seemed to be just fine to me.

I've heard good things about it too, but it is certainly too advanced for this student.

By far the easiest QM text of them all is Michael Morrison's "Understanding Quantum Physics-- A Users Manual."

Be sure and pick up Feynman's inexpensive paperback "QED: The Strange Theory of Matter and Light". Nothing explains quantum mechanics better for a beginning student. No equations, but he explains Feynman diagrams even. It really is a fantastic piece of "physics for poets" that only Feynman could put together.

On the other hand, if you want a reference that will remain on your shelf forever, but is still readable at the very earliest level, get Albert Messiah's two volume set, now packaged in a single paperback.

Carl

Last edited:
inha said:
Why? It seemed to be just fine to me.

I do not like his style of presentation...

Thanks for all the suggestions. My prescribed textbook is
R A Serway, C J Moses and C A Moyer, Modern Physics. Saunders
I am working through the QM bit by myself at the moment but would like to complement it with better books on the topic. I would also like to have a broader understanding of the subject other than picking which formula to use but that will only come with practice I guess.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It explains the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of particles such as electrons, protons, and photons.

2. Why is it important to study quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It has a wide range of applications in modern technology, such as electronics, nanotechnology, and quantum computing. It also helps us to better understand the nature of our universe.

3. Who can benefit from reading a quantum mechanics book for first-year physics students?

Anyone with an interest in physics and a basic understanding of calculus and classical mechanics can benefit from reading a quantum mechanics book. It is a fundamental concept in physics, and understanding it can open up many opportunities in various fields of science and technology.

4. What are some key topics covered in a quantum mechanics book for first-year physics students?

Some of the key topics covered in a quantum mechanics book include wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, quantum states and operators, quantum measurement, and the Schrödinger equation. It also covers applications of quantum mechanics in different areas of physics.

5. How can reading a quantum mechanics book benefit a first-year physics student?

Reading a quantum mechanics book can help a first-year physics student to develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics. It can also help to improve their problem-solving skills and prepare them for more advanced topics in physics. Additionally, it can open up opportunities for research and further studies in the field of quantum mechanics.