Libby: White House 'Superiors' OK'd Leaks

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: In the case of the attempted terrorist attack in Los Angeles, for example, the administration has withheld information about the extent of the NSA's spying. Meanwhile, they continue to leak information to the press that is unclassified.In summary, the Vice President's former top aide testified that his superiors authorized him to leak classified information in order to dispel criticism of the Iraq invasion. This could implicate the Vice President in treason.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Okay HRW [or was it SOS?] you said that you were in a hurry for justice.

WASHINGTON -- A former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney told a federal grand jury that his superiors authorized him to give secret information to reporters as part of the Bush administration's defense of intelligence used to justify invading Iraq, according to court papers.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/09/AR2006020901745.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wasn't me. I don't come in PWA anymore. (Except when I see a headline like that.)

When Fitzgerald announced his indictments, he reminded me of a cat that just ate the Christmas turkey. I think he knows that this is going to be huge.

This and everything else going on reminds me so much of Watergate in the way that it's building.

Am I in a hurry for justice, you mean like yesterday? :rofl:

With Libby testifying that his superiors authorized the leak of Plame’s name, it is likely V.P. Dick Cheney will be called as a witness.

The important part of Libby’s testimony is his confirmation that the leak was authorized to dispel criticism of the invasion of Iraq. As far as I’m concerned that is all that is needed to prove that Bush lied to Congress (most specifically about yellowcake).

Another new question in general is that of classified information, and the Executive branch’s selective leaking or declassification as it benefits them, most recently seen in regard to the attempted attack in L.A. While at the same time continuing their outcry about the press leaking information. :bugeye: And of course, in the meantime, other information such as the extent of NSA spying continues to be withheld.

I can’t believe the American people are so complacent and/or accepting of the double-standard information game, and more importantly the blatant lack of honesty and total disregard for the law.

SOS2008 said:
With Libby testifying that his superiors authorized the leak of Plame’s name, it is likely V.P. Dick Cheney will be called as a witness.

According to the NSA spokesman interviewed yesterday, Cheney didn't have the authority to disclose the information. So from what I am hearing, he could be guilty of treason.

An update:

WASHINGTON - Handwritten notes taken by the CIA show Vice President Cheney's top aide knew the name of CIA spy Valerie Plame a month before her cover was blown.

It appears to be the first known document in the hands of prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald that directly contradicts Lewis (Scooter) Libby's claim he learned from reporters in July 2003 that Valerie Plame was a CIA employee.

...Seven officials have testified that Libby raised the CIA spy with them before columnist Robert Novak outed her. In the filing, Fitzgerald also revealed that his investigators also confiscated computers.

Meanwhile, a judge overseeing Libby's perjury trial ruled yesterday that Libby won't get any copies of the secret daily intelligence briefings for Cheney and President Bush.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/395381p-335210c.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheneys defense will be that under executive order #13292, he has the authority to declassify information, like the name of a CIA agent perhaps? This would be a stretch because that executive order deals with giving the Vice president the authority to classify information

But in the interview, Cheney said an executive order gives him, and President Bush, power to declassify information
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/16/politics/main1322347.shtml

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
According to the NSA spokesman interviewed yesterday, Cheney didn't have the authority to disclose the information. So from what I am hearing, he could be guilty of treason.
Treason? That means he's going to get an airport named after him. Seriously, Reagan et al stole weapons from our military, funneled them through arms dealers, sold them to Iran (an avowed enemy of the US) and used the proceeds to fund a private war in Nicaragua. Somehow, stealing weapons from our national stockpile and giving aid and comfort to the enemy do not rise to the level of treason if you are a Republican.

edward said:
Cheneys defense will be that under executive order #13292, he has the authority to declassify information, like the name of a CIA agent perhaps? This would be a stretch because that executive order deals with giving the Vice president the authority to classify information

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/16/politics/main1322347.shtml
Jon Stewart made the observation that Clinton should not have lied, he should have classified. Classifying everything is what has been saving this administration's butt--don't underestimate it. In the case of Plame, I think they overlooked the fact that her name was still classified, and their own tactic backfired on them.

SOS2008 said:
Jon Stewart made the observation that Clinton should not have lied, he should have classified. Classifying everything is what has been saving this administration's butt--don't underestimate it. In the case of Plame, I think they overlooked the fact that her name was still classified, and their own tactic backfired on them.

Which means that the administration must declassify then destroy classified information to save their behinds.
When it comes to the ultimate conspiracy theory, from my point of view the actions of this administration have been a continuing series of conspiracies.

turbo-1 said:
Treason? That means he's going to get an airport named after him.

I never did believe that Reagan was a bad guy. I think his vice-president and friends were behind the abuses.

As for Treason, I was just following the logic. Of course I would love to see Bush and Cheney up on treason charges...and I think they both should be. However, a simple impeachment and removal from office is all I dare hope for; and we will be lucky to get that but things are looking up.

1. How did the White House "superiors" approve the leaks in the Libby case?

The White House "superiors", including Vice President Dick Cheney, gave permission to former Chief of Staff Lewis "Scooter" Libby to disclose classified information to the media in order to discredit a critic of the Iraq War.

2. Was Libby the only one involved in the leaks?

No, other high-ranking officials in the White House, including Karl Rove, were also involved in disclosing classified information to the media.

3. Why did the White House "superiors" approve the leaks?

The leaks were part of a larger effort by the White House to discredit a critic of the Iraq War and defend the administration's decision to go to war. They believed that revealing classified information to the media would help to sway public opinion in their favor.

4. What were the consequences of the leaks?

Lewis Libby was convicted of perjury and obstruction of justice for lying to investigators about his involvement in the leaks. He was sentenced to 30 months in prison, but President George W. Bush commuted his sentence. The scandal also damaged the reputation of the Bush administration and raised questions about the administration's handling of classified information.

5. How did the leaks impact national security?

The leaks compromised national security by revealing classified information to the media. This not only jeopardized ongoing investigations, but also put the lives of intelligence operatives and sources at risk. It also damaged the trust and credibility of the United States with its allies and partners in the international community.